Friday, March 19, 2004

My Sign From God



Yes, indeedy, today was the day I was finally getting to the
dealership to check out my potential new car!  I mentioned in an earlier blog
that I had a chance to get this model of car in the colour and model I really
wanted, but missed out by mere hours.  It turned out that the same
dealership had another model come in 2 weeks later and by the time I phoned it
was gone as well.  As if that torture wasn't enough, the morning paper
listed a half-dozen available at a Chevy dealership in Surrey about an hour's
drive away, but potentially worth it since the price was $2000 less than the
local place.  And, being a Chevy dealer, I could look into this 0% A.P.R.
as well....  By the time I looked again, though, the ad was no longer
running.

This week, while talking to my parents about how much longer I think my car's
going to last, I came upon yet another ad for a dealership with a literal FLEET
of these cars in stock.  And all under $13,000!  I called the dealership
and spoke to a salesman and made arrangements to go out on Wednesday to check
and see if I could get enough for my car in trade and then check on a loan at
the bank (sadly, it's considered a pre-owned car so doesn't count for the
0%).  If I can get it below $10,000 and a 60-month loan from the bank then
I'm set.  I can do it.  Money will be tight, but I'll have a car that
doesn't cost me $2500 a year in repairs.  Yeah, you read that right. 
And still my wife won't let me get a new car!!  $200 a month payments in a
year is $2400 --or I could just keep getting my old car fixed for an extra $100
on top of that.  Makes absolutely NO sense to me.  

So, it was important to keep this a secret from my wife (which I'm sure will
also help her opt for a divorce) and I knew my parents would be able to help
keep that secret.  I think they secretly hope my wife and I split so they
get a chance to see me more often.  They liked it when I visited before
Christmas, right?  Wednesday came and went and I couldn't get away in the
morning.  I talked to the sales guy that night (smart Hoser gave the sales
guy his cell phone number) and made arrangements for Friday morning.  So,
it was set.  Friday morning 10:45.  As Friday morning broke, I got up
and got ready to go.  I left at 9:50, giving myself just under an hour to
drive the 40 kilometres to get to the dealership. Most of it is highway driving
at 80km/h, so I should be okay.

Except for Friday traffic...

It took over an hour to get from my house to within 6 blocks of the
dealership.  Traffic was slow and heavy and within 6 blocks, it stopped
completely.  I called the sales guy to let him know I was late, but close
by and would be there shortly.  One freaking hour later I'd made it
another 6 blocks.  Not only was I really late to see him, but now I had
half an hour before I started work and work is 60 kilometres the other way
I'd warned My Kids earlier that I may be late, but wasn't counting on
this.  One of the kids lives in Coquitlam and asked if I was on the
highway.  I said I was and she said there's construction and it's single
lane.  Single lane highway traffic on a Friday at lunch.  I'm
screwed.  I'm sure we all know how 2 wrongs don't make a right?  Well,
3 rights make a left and the next intersection I did just that and headed for
the freeway to get to work.  

Naturally, getting to the freeway just before the bridge means you take like
2  figure-8s to merge and then it was a long haul in heavy traffic across
the bridge.

And then I realized that I really had to pee.

I called my sister's house, knowing it was on the way and gave me a chance to
stop and go somewhere relatively safe and stupid me never thought of yet more
construction on the off ramp.  My "see you in 10 minutes" turned
into 20 minutes and then I really had to go.  In fact, I yelled at the lady
in front of me to get going (before I went) after she let in yet another car off
a side street.  There's a time to be courteous and when my bladder's full
it's not the time!!  I ended up having a cup of coffee while at my sister's
(I was already late for work, right?) and then headed to the closest Tim
Horton's to bribe My Kids to keep quiet about the time I started.

Yep, 75 minutes late for work and no one has to know.  Except my wife, who
managed to lock her keys in the car and called the office.  The kids told
her I was stuck in traffic in Coquitlam.

Dammit.  She knows!!

This weekend is going to be Hell unless I make my escape to a basketball
game in Kamloops (slightly further away than my last trip to Kelowna --but, by
God, I'm going if there's any shit from her tonight!!). This must be a sign from God that I'm not going to get this car.





No comments: