Wednesday, March 31, 2004

My New Co-Worker From Hell


It's actually really unfair of me to call him a Co-Worker From Hell (CFH)
this early --he doesn't start for 3 more hours-- but I'm confident he's going to
be just like the rest I've gone through in the year I've been in this
department.  Yes, it's finally official, despite the fact I've known now
for a few weeks, that Whiner is going the middle of April.  The new guy is
coming in today for training.

Now, at first indication, I like this guy.  He has a tendency to blurt out
obscure references to pop culture which fits in with my boss & I quite
well.  My boss, who last summer sang the 'Happy Anniversary' song from
Flintstones and regales us with stories of Caddyshack and Helmut Kohl and the
time he got into a Rolling Stones concert in Vegas without ever buying a ticket,
is extremely happy that Whiner's leaving. 

She's been... 'sick' a lot recently and has missed 6 of the last 7 Fridays being
'sick.'  The other one was a planned vacation day.  Please. 
Whiner had an argument with my boss on Monday.  He pretty much said
something like, "Good Lord, how bright and goodly shines the
moon!"  To which Whiner responds, "The moon? The sun! It is not
moonlight now."  The voices raise and the headache for Whiner starts
and she succumbs to have yet another sick day yesterday.  Enough of Taming
of the Shrew...

Back to the new guy.  I've only on one occasion worked semi-closely with
him and he started on this whole "juice tiger" thing which sounded so
familiar until a girl came up and said, "I love So I Married an Axe
Murderer!!"  Ah, score a point for him.

so, now 2 and a half hours to go before he arrives and I get to train him in all
things... this job.  Whiner will be in later this afternoon to teach him
her version of this job.  We'll see which version he goes with.  Mine,
the guy who's been here for a year.  Whiner's: who's leaving for the third
time in a year.

I just realized that.  It's her third time leaving here.  She left
last May, the same day I started.  She came back in October and lasted 2
days before she left for a week-plus and finally decided to come back. 
Ironically, she left in October because she felt "out of the loop" and
"had no idea what was going on" despite her first day was also
"Orientation Day" for My Kids.  She sat in on the meeting so that
she'd know what all was going on too.  And, apparently, it all went over
her head.  Now, she's going again.

And then I start thinking... Whiner's going for the third time in a year. 
The Curse just stopped coming in back in June (she lasted 6 weeks) and they
eventually gave her a retirement package just to get rid of her.  Loopy
left in September (8 weeks!) after deciding my boss wasn't doling out the work
evenly.  Whiner lasted the longest at close to 18 weeks.  Is it
me?  am I doing this to these people?

Nnnnnnnaaaaaahhhhhh.  I'm all about the love --it can't be me!


No comments: