Wednesday, March 03, 2004

My Lecture Circuit


I have a thought.  I think Whiner & F-Bomb know what I think of them
--being the ultimate Co-Workers From Hell (CFH).  But I've never said which
one is the #1 CFH and I think that may be making them compete.  I have to
go with this logic since it's the only way I can keep sane with the crap they do
on a daily basis. I'm nearly at wit's end today after the number of lectures
here at work yesterday.  

To start the day off, Whiner left me a number of emails wanting me to finish up
her 2 latest projects because she's so far behind.  I think I mentioned in
an earlier post that we can scan our email recipients and see when and if
they've checked their email.  Now, I doubt Whiner knows how to do this, but
I decided to mark the emails as 'unread' to make her suffer even more.  I
know Whiner scans my email inbox when she comes into the office, so I've made it
blatantly obvious that I've ignored her messages.  After half an hour of
her... whining... about my not following through on her problem, I gave a short
but stern lecture on the importance of finishing her projects on time and not
leaving them to the last minute and expecting someone else to take care of it
for her.

F-Bomb rallied to score CFH points by exclaiming to the boss that I'm behind on
a project that she thinks should be at the top of my list.  It's actually
closer to #12 on my priorities (it's due in September after all) and I've told
my boss there are far more important projects due sooner that I need to work
on.  Of course, then I realized that F-bomb hasn't sent me the requested
information for my #12 project anyway, so I couldn't do anything with it if I
wanted to.  In a battle of wits, she remains the loser.

But wait, before F-Bomb could start to gain more points than Whiner, we get a
report from the IT department.  Whiner downloaded the Netsky Worm Virus on
Monday night and it deleted thousands of files throughout the network in a space
of a couple of hours.  So, after my lecture from the IT techies, I passed
the lecture on to Whiner.  She's not impressed, but she should be with the
number of CFH points she gained in 2 hours.

Whiner really pulled ahead when a number of new clothes came in and she decided
to put them through the wash... together.  All the white and all the blues,
which (with the basic math skills she obviously doesn't have) mean we now have
all the blues... Head hurting.

F-Bomb comes back with a flurry --in the form of vomit.  Incredibly sick,
she decides it's more important to come in to work than stay at home and
recover.  She could work from home, but that would just be a double-benefit
to everyone here.  A - she won't be around. B - no one else would get
sick.  She throws up 4 times before I head for home.  Disgusting.

My boss has decided he needs to earn some points here too.  I found out
late yesterday he hasn't approved my vacation request (and isn't it obvious I
need a vacation???) yet, because he wants to make sure it doesn't conflict with
anyone else's requests.  Thus starts the lecture on the meaning and
importance of seniority and why/how I get first pick of the vacation time. 
It's amazing that in my first 6 years of working here I was told almost daily
how other people's seniority made them more important than me and now all I hear
is how meaningless seniority is these days.  Nice.

Maybe My Year can also be about looking for a new job somewhere else....

No comments: