Thursday, March 18, 2004

My Case for Divorce


One the questions I asked in My Quiz was about an upcoming major purchase
planned.  I am looking at getting a new car, but there's obvious flak at
home about this.

See, my car's going to pack it in soon (and about to hit 200,000 km) and I had
the opportunity to drive a new car over the Summer when mine was stolen (and
sadly recovered later on).  I fell in love with the loaner car and,
naturally, it was completely and totally out of my price range.  It'd be
tough to convince me to buy a car for $28,000, I am Scottish after
all.  However, you tell me:  If a slightly used (15,000 km)
fully-loaded $28,000 car is suddenly available for $13,000, wouldn't you want to
take a chance and check it out?  Even more of an incentive, there's 6
models to choose from.

*ahem*

DDDDRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL.

So, tomorrow I'm going to look at the cars and see if there's any chance
I can afford one.  I'll get my current car appraised and see if this is
gonna kill me.  If I can keep the payments to under $200 a month, I can do
it.  I have the power.

No matter what, though, this is not going to make my wife happy.  When we
went car shopping for her this Fall (her 15-year old car's transmission went
blooey), I had a chance to get her a fairly new (1999) car for monthly payments
of about $145.  She wouldn't go for it.  Too much money.  We
can't afford more monthly payments....

My Year is supposed to be about taking risks, especially if they're of the
selfish type.  This car, a 2003 model, would make My Year.  And if my
car goes kerplunk soon, then we're stuck with one vehicle again and that's not
good for anyone.

So, yep, I asked what my next big purchase was going to be and gave the multiple
choices answers: A condo, Airline tickets, A new car, or Redecorating the
house.  Most people answered that I'd be looking at getting a new car.

And most people then answered in the next question ('And what's going to happen
to me if I make the big purchase?') that I'd be getting a divorce.  Well,
that's interesting.  And tomorrow --I'm still looking at that car.

No comments: