Saturday, February 21, 2004

My Reason for Drinking


My Co-Workers From Hell (CFH for short) were in fine form this week. 
One of them, the Whiner, missed a deadline for project and blamed me because she
wasn't happy with the 2 items I contributed to it.  She'd asked me to redo
them, but there actually wasn't anything wrong with them (she just didn't like
them) and I refused with the deadline looming.  So, she held off until I
did it again.

She missed something there, right?

F-Bomb was also on a roll this week. A project she was working on has a deadline
of February 24th, but when she realized it was this close she walked into the
boss' office and blamed him for leaving it to her with such a tight deadline. 
The really funny bit is she has a calendar that has nothing but these deadlines
listed in it and she could've been working on this project for months and left
it to the last week when the boss asked her for an update.  She also
managed to have 2 blank pages copied into an 8-page (count 'em: e-i-g-h-t!!)
presentation of some of the information from our webpages.  That
information was last updated the first week of January (no changes since!!) by
Yours Truly and was due Feb. 21 --again, she could've done it at any point in
the past 7 weeks, but left it to the last week and then mis-counted the number
of pages.  She asked me to help out with correcting that one and we got it
done on time.  Finally, she lost an order that was needed for the 21st as
well and blew her top with the purchasing department when she found out I'd
submitted an order the day after and it was confirmed to ship on the 20th. 
It was a close to last-minute request as they're needed for next Friday, the
27th.

This isn't to say I had a great week or anything.  I dropped the ball on
the previously mentioned order and had to clarify what we needed within 2 weeks
of its' due date.  Originally, it was supposed to be ordered before
Christmas and the order disappeared at some point.  Crap.

My boss referred to all the problems as "meltdowns" but I pointed out that my
mistake was rectified in time and therefore it was only a potential
meltdown and therefore no one was growing any extra limbs --or things out of
their foreheads.

That last comment was a parting shot at F-Bomb who caught some weird skin
infection and I had to take her to the hospital when her forehead started
growing these huge red spots.  I was a nice guy and bought her a get well
card for us all to sign.  Whiner wasn't too appreciative of the card and
said flowers would be better.  My boss retorted that if we bought flowers
every time someone in the office was sick then we'd be buying her flowers every
week.  To date, she's used up all her sick days (and we have 30 bloody sick
days) and a week's worth of holidays to cover all her sick time.  I've used
5 days in the past 2 years.

Whiner sent me an email about 2 hours ago asking where the videos were for one
of the coaches.  I responded that the message she'd just sent was the first
time I'd heard about any videos and maybe it'd be best to just do something
that's asked of her instead of waiting to get me to do it.

And then I raised a glass to my co-workers from Hell.

No comments: