Friday, February 06, 2004

My Prescription


www.thephobialist.com lists
Pharmacophobia as a Fear of taking medicine and/or the Fear of drugs.  I
wonder if I have that.  I can take cough syrup and things like that, but
sometimes prescription drugs (such as sleeping pills, etc.) worry me.  I
have a fear of getting an addiction because I think I'm susceptible to addictive
things.  I know my mother was addicted to sleeping pills a few years back
and somehow I'm the only one in my family not to be --at some stage in life-- a
heavy smoker.  I think my mother quit when I was around 6 years of age. My
father quit when I was 18 (he quit cold turkey the day he retired). My sister
smokes 3 packs a day, just like her husband.  I feel sorry for my nephew.I
was a Coca Cola addict (but now cut back to 2 cans a week).  I used to have
a gambling fixation (but now just get a lottery ticket when it hits $5 million
of more).  My worst one (and cost me a job once) was an addiction to the
excitement of opening a pack of trading cards.  Seriously!  I worked
in a trading card shop and saw how excited people got when they'd open a pack
and find the card they were looking for or some special card or signed
card.  I loved it.

One Christmas, I had bought a pack of cards at a gas station and got a card
worth nearly $100.  Working in a card shop, I sold it to a customer (and
was nice enough to give my boss a 20% 'finder's fee' for letting me sell it in
the store).  A friend came in looking for the last few cards in this set
and told me he'd been buying packs at the nearby 7-11.  I told him we most
likely had all the card he needed so to stop wasting money on the packs. 
Coincidentally, I was in the 7-11 that week and noticed there was one pack left
in the box.  I bought it and sold a signed card from the box for $400 2
weeks later.  So I had, between the two cards, an extra $400 spending money
that Christmas.

But the addiction started that Christmas and I found myself testing my luck for
the next year or so.  It wasn't until the following Christmas that I first
realized my problem when I'd had a quiet night and with a new shipment of
product in, found myself opening nearly $300 in packs (and got nowhere near that
in saleable items).  But then it became a daily fix and I couldn't stop
myself.  It was a bad Christmas for sales and in January I found myself (my
co-worker too) out of work.  I loved that job and it took me nearly a full
year to find any confidence in working again.  And it was a good way to cut
cold turkey.

But now I'm having people tell me to get some sleeping pills.  That I need
them to get back to sleep. 13 hours' sleep from Sunday night to Thursday night
is entirely unacceptable and I know it's true.

But I don't want to take sleeping pills.

Alberta has told me there's an herbal supplement that may help, so I'm going to
look for that instead and hope it's not addictive. 


No comments: