Friday, February 20, 2004

My Frustration


So, I'm reading email from my "classmates" this morning and noticed
trend in the messages.

I think in the Fall I'd started a diatribe about the mess my marriage was in and
the potential for trouble with good ol' Sex Caffeine.  It had gotten to the
point where I was seriously thinking about quitting my job and going back to
school to finish my degree.  I make no qualms about how crappy I'm treated
around here when it comes to promotion as a degree counts for more experience
than 7 years in the bloody office doing the damn job.  And I expect it to
happen again in April.

So, yes, there's trouble in the marriage and the willingness to cooperate isn't
always apparent and we seem to treat each more like friends than anything
else.  Take that along with bad temptations at work (remember: this was in
the past and I've improved the situation in that regard this year) and life was
just a huge mass of frustrations.

I wanted to quit everything and focus on my schooling for a while.  Sound
familiar? My Year is all about quitting certain things in order to focus on the
most important thing in my life: ME.

My classmates had been quick to point out that quitting everything and moving
closer to school wasn't a good solution to my problems.  A move to school
would actually mean moving 3 time-zones East and, thus, leaving family
here.  Let's face it.  Family is a major distraction when it comes to
studying and I've been known in the past to take off  for a week in order
to study for my exams.  I'd leave at 7 in the morning in order to study for
an hour before work, then stick around for another 6 hours afterward to continue
cramming for the entire week.

My classmates talked me out of it and made me realize that I needed to focus on
things here for now and try straighten them out. Well fine, but now we have two
people going through a variation of my frustrations and they're doing nothing
but encouraging both.  Yes, one has just had her marriage fall apart and
she'd already started to focus on school and staying away from the house (I've
been afraid to mention that her husband was quite supportive of her going away
to school and leaving the house --especially when he's cheating on her as that
just makes things easier for him).  The other one is in a difficult job and
looking for an escape: quitting and going to school.  She's getting lots of
encouragement and one person even responded with a "I left my marriage to
go back to school" comment.

Now, I'm a little miffed that the response to me saying "Maybe I'll go to
school" was "No! Your family! Think of your family!" and the
response to everyone else going through these changes is: "you go
girl!"

And that's the clincher:  you. go. GIRL.

I'm so grumpy this week!

No comments: