Friday, December 02, 2005

Shotgun Divorce

I mentioned months ago that my wife was up for one of my old jobs at my old office. We originally thought the interview was going to happen at some point in late-August in order to fill the position in time for September. It didn't happen. Then, I figured they'd be busy in September and push it to an October start. That didn't happen either. It actually became a mid-November interview and a couple more days before they finally decided on a candidate.

And it wasn't my wife. Although she was told it was "close," and I'd felt initial relief knowing that the only person on the hiring committee who actually knew me was a friend of mine, the fact that it was "close" still hurt a bit.

There's a rumour going around now that someone in the human resources office made the connection between my wife & I and that's what actually did her in. I think, by now, there's got to be about a dozen people ther who hate me or dislike me, for whaever reason. I don't really care what they think of me, but if they're going to paint my wife with the same brush, they're even more foolish than I could ever perceive.

I told my wife about the rumour I'd heard and she was rightfully insulted. Her qualifications should matter more than who she's married to and she's not sure she wants to work there anymore. Fine by me. But I also know she likes working there and she should be a benefit to them if they'd just use their frickin' brains for a change.

But there's a quick solution to this as well. Divorce.

No, not a real divorce. A divorce in their simple eyes. See, my wife's credentials, degrees, and diplomas are all in her maiden name, all achieved before we married. It's the reason why she puts her maiden name as well as our last name on her resume.

So, she could easily go back to her maiden name just for the sake of clarity with her credentials. A quick walk into the HR office and have her records show she uses her maiden name and I figure within 30 minutes the rumour of our divorce will have spread through every department. Any association with my name will then have the added "divorce" on it and anyone who doesn't know me would never assume there was any relation between the two of us.

Then, maybe, she could get somewhere there.

No comments: