Monday, December 26, 2005

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Alrighty, so Christmas is officially over, but I hope everyone had a good Christmas. I got to see some friends I haven't seen in a while, including one friend who is a police officer and moved away. He's actually just back at work after being suspended for a few months. It seems he (allegedly) threatened a couple in the middle of a domestic dispute... For a guy who hadn't had a vacation in over 8 months, I'm not surprised he ended up wanting to take it out on someone.

We did get together with my sister's family and my parents. Although we had to leave fairly early as my "terrorist two" son threw a succession of "hissy fits" and started beating on his cousin. My boy's a year younger than his cousin, but outweighs him by 8 pounds. Not really a fair fight.

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that my sister is expecting her second baby in the springtime. She's a heavy smoker (has been for close to 20 years and she's 35) and smoked throughout her first pregnancy. My nephew had open heart surgery when he was 5 months old because he had an undeveloped valve and an overworked aorta. I've been told that it had nothing to do with her constant smoking, but sometimes you just don't want to believe the "experts."

Anyway, I was quite excited to see her sit down and open presents, get the turkey on the dining room table, play with her son, and talk for over an hour without so much as a hint of a cigarette appearing (if she smoked in her house, we'd never go over there --they smoke outside). Very excited. It didn't last however and fortunately, my son's latest hissy fit was enough to drive us away for the night, so I didn't get into lecture mode about the smoking.

Ugh.

Not that she wants to hear anything from her little brother. Needless to say, intelligence skipped a sibling along the way... (I'm the only member of my family, in 2 generations, to be a non-smoker, so I've totally earned the right to lecture ;)).

[14 posts 'til #500]

No comments: