Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Audience

Here's my next rant....

I mentioned in an earlier post about going to my daughter's school Christmas concert.

I also mentioned in an earlier post about how the 'innocence' of a parade has been lost with so many adults seemingly there to ruin it for everyone else.

So, did I miss the announcement that it was acceptable practice to 'shout out' your kids' name during the school play?

I mean, what's the deal? You go to sit and watch your child perform to the best of their ability and some loser behind you suddenly screams out 'Dylannnnn!!!!!'

And, of course these days, that means 4 kids on stage have turned to see if this loser's their Dad.

It happened throughout the entire concert. A group would be leaving the stage and some moron (or multiple morons) would start shouting for their kids. WHY????? Besides, once the kids start looking, then it causes a traffic jam of kids trying to enter and exit the stage.

OK, seriously, this really bugs me. I mean, if your kid needs some sort of affirmation about:
a) how well they did
or
b) that their parent(s) made the time to come see the play
couldn't you just tell them afterward how they did? Isn't that what actual grown-ups do when they see a play and they know someone in the cast? You meet up afterwards (that night, or later) and tell them what you thought of the play, right? Right. I have a friend who stars in plays all the time in the Toronto theatre district. The next time I see him in a Shakespearean play, does anyone think I'd ever stand up and shout "Yo, Sweetcheeks!"? No, I would not.

I'm civilized, dammit.

But, not these people. Nope. They shout at their kids and disrupt everything that's going on.

OK, rants are done for now.

[18 posts 'til #500]

No comments: