Friday, December 23, 2005

Sleep on it

As my regular readers (all 2 of you) are aware, decisions are not a difficult thing for me. I can make a decision pretty quickly and, right or wrong, know that it's MY decision and to accep the consequences, whatever they may be.

I mentioned in my last post that I'll sleep on it: The decision about whether or not I should join my parents and my sister's family for Christmas dinner on the 25th.

I think in this case, I'm willing to let a night's sleep come between today's events and a decision just so I know I'm not acting out of anger. Crap, really sound grown up there, don't I?

It's a lofty decision as it could totally alienate my parents from my kids and in some ways I don't want that and in others ways... I do. I mentioned before that my parents seem to favour my sister's son so much more (and with another on the way in that family, it can only get worse).

Not sure where it's coming from at my parents' end of things. My father was an only child and my mother hasn't been close to her sister for a good 40+ years. I know we were at a family thing on my mother's side about 6 or 7 years ago and I met dozens of people I'm supposedly related to and had never seen before. I knew my mother was a redhead when she was younger, but I discovered that redheads are actually prevalent on her side of the family. Good to know, eh?

Sorry, I'm digressing again. The point of this writing is "sleeping" on decisions. It's the second time in about as many months that I've had a major decision and wanted to spend some time dealing with it.

So what was the other one? Well, with my involvement in church and my current schoolwork, I've apparently run into some conflict. I've been drawing naked people in one course and that's apparently 'very unbecoming of a Christian.' Why? Because I'm exploiting the sexuality of these people and then going so far as to present these pictures to others.

Sexuality? Uh, no. It takes me about 6 seconds to start looking at a nude model and decipher where specific muscles are being used in a pose. I'm looking at how the light creates specific shadows across their chest and shoulders. How their neck is angled compared to their head and back. Sex doesn't even enter the picture here.

And i'm not even touching the whole exploitation issue.

My initial reaction upon hearing that I was 'unbecoming' was "fine, I quit." I didn't say that out loud, but kept it in and decided that I'd "sleep on it" and make a decision about my level of activity within the church within a few days of hearing this.

I'd say I spent a good 10 days before I actually said anything about it. And after 10 days the answer was "I quit." 10 days gave me numerous reasons to lean one way or another and the list was definitely longer on the 'quit' side of things.

Too bad I don't have 10 days to think about quitting on my parents.

[16 posts 'til #500]

1 comment:

Dreama said...

so where did you spend dinner?