Friday, December 30, 2005

Transparent Parents

Yeah, I've been dissing on my parents a lot lately. Even my wife commented earlier today that I seem quite disillusioned with them these days.

Well, for starters, they're being quite blatant with their favoritism to my sister's family, despite always grumbling to us about her husband. Yeah, fine --he didn't work on Christmas Day with the double-overtime pay for an 10-hour shift (basically getting paid for 30 hours instead). Yeah, it was stupid 'cuz it meant he was leaving home to start work at 10pm. His son is fast asleep by then and will wake up after his dad gets home. Why not work? His decision, so let it be. Last night, instead of coming to our party, they went out to dinner with my sister's family. To the same restaurant. For the third time in 2 weeks.

I did have it out with them on the phone today. First, they said they tried to call us to get together today and couldn't figure out why we weren't home. I've told them at least 4 times over the past week that we were out all day today, but it slipped their minds. As did the fact that I've had the same cell phone number for 3 friggin' years. Hello? You both worked for the telephone company!!!! Second, they let us know that they're babysitting my nephew tomorrow night, so my sister and her husband get a "much needed" break from their son. And when have they offered to do that for us? Oh, right. NEVER. We forced them to do it once, and I guess that was enough for them. Third, they called tell us they won't see us again while they're down ("too busy") but will "try and stop in" on their way home. Well, call ahead and I'll make sure we're out. Peace out, people. Fourth, they have the audacity to say they're starting a scholarship fund for our soon-to-be nephew and/or neice. My aunt has contributed more to our kids' scholarship funds than my own parents. Oh, and then they tell us that they bought my sister a new computer. Oh please, let me get back to my student loans for school, you know where I need all that computer stuff --as opposed to my stay-at-home sister??? Fine. Just go away already.

Leave us with the bathroom you tore apart in 2002 and have been promising to fix "in the spring" ever since.

Leave us with the continued knowledge that we've disappointed you by not joining the groups you're members of.

Leave us with the disappointment that our kids don't deserve the same attention from you as my sister's kids.

Leave us with the memory of how you hated it when your own parents showed any favoritism to another sibling.

Just.

Leave.

I'm so tempted to take a job in Scotland, just out of spite!

[9 posts 'til #500!]

No comments: