Friday, December 16, 2005

Freedom

Today is day #1 of Much Needed Time Off from school. It's been a long, tough haul through this semester and I'm looking forward to some hopeful R&R over the next 2 weeks.

Long, tough haul? Some classmates disagreed with me, but I based it on a number of things:
  • Grades, which definitely slipped a bit this semester (goodbye 3.6 GPA!). I'm expecting at least 2 marks out of 5 in the C/C+ range, 1 more in the B's and hopefully 2 in the A's. I got one A for sure,but the other is a question mark.
  • Sleepless nights. My first (and best) semester, I made it through without any prolonged periods of no sleep. Sure, there were occasional projects that required numerous nights 'til 2 or 3 in the morning, but that's a little on the normal side for me anyway. My second semester, I had 1 sleepless night to finish up some bonus work for one class where I wanted to bring my mark up to an acceptable level. This past semester, I had 4 sleepless nights, including 60+ -hour stretch of work --and not for a final project! Had I had the health this week to do it, I probably would have had another 50-hour work period. Didn't do it, though, and my work showed it. I submitted one incomplete project.
  • Stress. This semester, I got sick before classes ended and missed an entire day because of it. The computer programs proved difficult to learn and even my extensive notes (4-10 pages for an hour's lecturing) still didn't help when it came to the practical work. One assignment (irony: my only 100% all semester) I struggled doing because part of the program wasn't showing up and I didn't know we needed to use it --not listed in my notes anywhere!! Add to this the number of Christmas events for schoolchildren my daughter was involved in (and all scheduled this week, of course) and my wife's "bonus" shifts this week (she worked 48 hours this week and is scheduled for 12 next week), and the scheduling nightmare was running its course.

But I'm home now. I don't have to go back until December 29th to get my schedule. Classes begin again January 2nd.

So, now it's time to play catch-up on the blog!

No comments: