Thursday, December 30, 2004

My Fight Club

Okay, not really. There is no Fight Club.

But I was in a bad mood today... well, if you consider that 'today' started when I was rudely woken up Wednesday morning at 4am after going to bed at 3:30am and have been basically going ever since --yeah, I was in a mood today.

But I wasn't the one snapping. No, no. I left that to my wife. And my son.

See, my son's teething right now, so the cruel joke is that teeth hurt the most after 3 in the morning. He's usually good all day, but hates sleeping because that's when everything hurts.

And he wants his mommy.

It happened tonight at the dinnertable and I'll admit one of my biggest pet peeves is a loud 'suppertime.' It's one of those 'unwritten rules' that I've taken on from my own family. I have to ask my dad one day how he dealt with my sister and I as kids when we were at the dinner table.

My son didn't want to eat and kept motioning to be let down from his high chair. We did so and he immediately began screaming and crying for mommy.

VERY.

Annoying.

We've sunk into the habit of reading at the table and I was reading when the screaming began. I sighed and closed my book (who wants to lose their place?) and tried consoling my son while my wife finished her dinner. I wasn't even halfway through mine, but I'm the one who can't stand the noise.

No such luck. He insisted on mommy and nothing I did helped. I only seemed to make it worse.

Fine.

So, eventually he ended up where he seemed to want to be --in mommy's arms and she wasn't quite done with her dinner. Then he started crying even more and I opted to try my best to ignore the ear-shattering screams and go back to reading.

At which point my wife slammed down her fork and stormed off with my son. She yelled out to me, "Well, if you're going to get angry with everyone... I'll take him away!!"

I was reading.

I didn't grumble. I didn't sigh. I'd already proven that he didn't want me.

Where's the anger?

Oog. Our first fracas in months.

No comments: