Thursday, December 30, 2004

My Party

We decided a few weeks back to invite friends over after Christmas just for an opportunity to visit and a chance for me to speak to the friends I'd left behind when I escaped from work.

We had a few people show, but there was also quite a number who had other plans and sadly couldn't be there.

But those who were there got to hear directly from me just what the Hell happened back in October. How we'd come to the conclusion that it was time for me to leave as I'd had enough and felt it necessary to abandon the Co-workers From Hell to their own fiendish absurdities.

And that it took me all of 2 hours to come to terms with "semi-retirement" and know that I'd made the right step. And how relieved I was when I faced a future that didn't include walking into that building ever again.

I also apologized for not speaking to them sooner as I know they've all been quite upset with my departure. Some of them talked about "the usual Hell" occurring in the office and at the same time admitted that I'm not the only person who used the term "relief" to describe my departure from work.

Which I honestly think pissed off my friends that are getting close (but not quite close enough) to retirement.

I'm 31 years old with an entire lifetime ahead of me. If I retire in my 60s that's still 30 years away. So I'm getting a later start on my career. It's not the end of the world. It's just the beginning.

No comments: