Tuesday, December 07, 2004

My Days

I haven't had much time to add entries this week. Not that I'm busy with work, but busy in My Role Reversal. My wife is the one working lots right now, but her wages are half what mine were, so I have to try and fit the eBay stuff in around her schedule --and the kids.

The problem is that the kids are incredibly demanding, especially on time. It's virtually impossible to get anything done with one child --or two-- constantly needing attention, help, or both at the same time. My son has refused to have his "regularly scheduled" nap time in the morning and now crashes over lunch. It used to be that I could put him down for his nap and let my daughter play a computer game or watch a DVD while I went downstairs to work. She knows to stomp when I need to come up and usually does 3 or 4 times in the 90 minute break I have to get my work done. But with the boy now sleeping over lunch, I'm preparing food for the kids and feeding my daughter who usually has issues over eating which means I have to 'supervise' meals. She'll 'gab' throughout the meal so I'm waiting for her to choke. She'll dawdle and as soon as I focus on something else, she needs 'help.' At some point, she gets loud enough to wake my son and the attention thing starts all over again. Today, I tried getting stuff together to mail out (that all-important step in the eBay process) and she started whining about a hair in her mouth. Instead of trying to pull it out, she just started scremaing about it. And then my son wakes up from his 15 minute nap...

I almost got one thing ready to mail out.

This afternoon won't be much better. When 'nap time' hits again, he'll want to play with his sister, freshly returned from pre-school. Imay be able to get some work done then as they're distracted for a few minutes, but he'll be tired and start hitting her. So, I might get 4 or 5 packages ready this afternoon. I have about 35 or so to get out today and tomorrow.

And then there's the 90+ auction items I wanted to start on Sunday...

I haven't had enough time to sit down and get through all the details. My wife suggested I just put the image of what I'm selling with my payment & shipping description. I could, but then each thing would only sell for 99-cents. As it is, I'm selling items for $25 because someone recognized a name they didn't know was associated with the item beforehand. So, the extra 5 minutes' work seems worthwhile, yes? But 90+ items will take about 7-8 hours to get it all done and I don't know what a stint like that looks like anymore.

So, I'm back to doing my work late at night when the kids are asleep. With about a 10-minute break around 11pm, I can basically work from 10:30pm - 2:30am. 4 hours!! So, no problems getting the work done over a few days, right?

Wrong.

Now my wife's mad at me because I'm not coming to bed at a decent time. No, it's not decent, but I can't work with a deadline and work with my family at the same time. But I'm also tossing and turning at night fretting about the work not getting done. I'll fall asleep --finally-- around 3 or 3:30 and I'm up to take care of the kids by 8. No, Virginia, that's not enough sleep for the Big Hoser.

My original goal with the eBay stuff was to have it all on and sold by this past weekend. I'm finally over the halfway mark... My next goal was to have any videos and CDs up and running by this comng weekend to get everything possible out and to people by Christmas. We haven't even sorted the videos or CDs yet.

So, not only much time to add entries to this blog, but not enough time to do what's needed for the eBay thing to work. Ugh.

And one more post for the day ought to cover it.

No comments: