Wednesday, December 22, 2004

My Second Interview

A few weeks back, I'd had a job interview with the nearby major university. Basically, the initial interview was to see whether I was the "right type" of person they wanted to work there and looked on my previous accomplishments at work, at home, and at school. After 7+ years of various interviews at my old job, I'd grown accustomed to the standard questions asked in interviews. There, at the old place, were 5 basic scenarios you had to respond to as well as numerous other questions asked by the hiring committee (usually 3-5 people, sometimes up to a dozen). I'd gotten so good at those questions that I had an immediate answer and hit on every point requested and was the best possible outcome to the scenario. One time, the chair of the hiring committee asked me if I was so quick in giving answers because I could "talk-the-talk" but not "walk-the-walk" Just as quickly, I responded the key to any job skill is to walk and talk at the same time. I held back on the "especially if it means working with an asshole like you" bit...

That's me. Professional interviewer.

Anyhoo, this new interview was the toughest interview I'd ever had. Some of the questions were extremely deep that I was convinced I'd blown it and would never hear back from them.

And then they called me in for interview #2 last week.

The first interview was conducted by the head of human resources, the second was with my immediate supervisors. There was supposed to be a third with their supervisor, but he'd decided to conduct #2 in his office and therefore save some time.

And interview #2 had to be one of the easiest interviews I've had. The questions, essentially, were: "What do you bring to the table compared to what we expect?" "What is your greatest strength?" "In which situations do youfind your work thrives?" "To you, what makes a good leader/boss?"

It was a short interview too and I felt really good afterward.

On the way home, I received a phone call saying that they were having problems checking one of my references (couldn't reach him), so I gave them an alternate phone number.

That was a week ago and I haven't heard anything since....

Oog.

No comments: