Saturday, January 08, 2005

Snow is Falling

The aging process has you firmly in its grasp if you never get the urge to throw a snowball.
~Doug Larson
It's barely snowing today and yesterday it was pretty much like today only not as windy. So, the wind chill factor means that our temperatures are becoming more and more... "Canadian" in January.

One good thing I've noticed about this blog is that I can go back and see something I jotted down a year ago and remember the exact event. January 6, 2004 was our "big snowfall" of the year when we were told to expect up to 20cm of snow and got 5cm instead. This time around, we
were told to expect up to 5cm and so far have gotten about 12. I'm finding it cold now, though. Must be my age ;-)

When I was a kid, I lived up north and my first day of school it was -44 out. That's cold enough that both Fahrenheit and Celsius measure it the same: damn cold. I was hoping to find some facts, but Google goes crazy as soon as you type in 'temperature.' -44 is cold enough that your breath crystallizes when you exhale. Exposure at those temperature means frostbite --fast.

Now, I'm here where it's -12c with the wind chill and I'm whining about it. This sucks. I should be able to handle it. [My excuse is the snow up north was the "dry snow" and down here where it rains so much it's a really, really "wet snow" so despite the 'warmer' temperature, it seems colder because it chills you more effectively than colder, dry snow.

What was I talking about? Oh yes, snow! My wife had been called into work for Friday (my old office), but the place was shut down giving everyone a long weekend.

Of course, they also had this to cope with this week:

I wrote last month about 2 fires over a weekend of places where former co-workers would hang out? I referred to one of them as 'Saturday,' the pub where people met up on Saturday nights. This one pictured above is most referred to as 'Friday' although it was extremely popular for lunch during the week as well. It burned down on Thursday. Glad I have an alibi.

Getting back to the snow... Friday, had I still been at the office, would have officially been a "snow day." And I have to say that snow days are a lot more exciting when you actually care whether or not you go into work. It's kind of like Christmas in some ways: The excitement of an unexpected gift.

I should feel that way everyday.

I think the fact that I have been working on things has taken away some of the excitement of 'being home.' I spend a lot of time on the computer (eBay, web stuff, games...), so it's a lot like work right now (especially since the eBay stuff is bringing in money!!). But when your office is in your home... snow days aren't really exciting.

I really feel a need right now to reconnect with some part of my youth. I just have to find a healthy alternative...

Like a good snowball fight.

No comments: