Saturday, January 15, 2005

Lazy Mornin'

"We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."
~Frank Tibolt


I am, right now, about 160 auctions behind where I actually want to be. I'm hoping by tomorrow that I'm caught up, but the most I've been able to do in one day is about 50.

I don't think I'm going to make it.

I need some inspiration and motivation to continue and this past week just wasn't a good week as I fell "off the eBay wagon" and started getting lazy again with shipping things out. It doesn't take much to fall behind, that's for sure. But I knew yesterday that getting behind would NOT help my future on eBay, so I bucked up and did the most daring thing I've done so far.

I had 20+ auctions that needed to be packed and mailed, but knowing I was late with some of them (by a few weeks at this point), I decided to go the more difficult route and head to the U.S. of A. to mail everytihng out with their incredibly more reliable postal system. (As a note to any American readers of this post: If you think you're postal system is bad, then you ain't seen nothin! The Canadian postal system is more expensive and ultimately slower than the American system.) Think of it this way: If I lived in a northern community and mailed in my property taxes for the year say on January 2nd, then my payment should arrive within 5-7 business days. DAYS!! If I want to guarantee that they get it quickly by mail, then I can pay $6-$14 to have it mailed by registered mail and they "guarantee" it will be there within 3 days. 3 days, by the way, doesn't include the day you dropped it off and the day it's actually delivered. I learned this when I sent those packages to New York and complained after the guaranteed 15 days had passed that neither had reached their destination in time. One took 17 days to arrive and the post office argued that I shouldn't be including the day I mailed it out or the day they delivered it. I eventually got my $16 back for that one --and the other one too after it took 45 days to reach Fordham University. 45 freakin' days. Lewis & Clark could've walked it there faster than the bloody post office took!!

So, off to the USPS I go, which is a 40 minute drive, then a 20 minute walk in -12 degree wind chill to drop off the items. $45 later, everything is on its way to all parts of the U.S. (and one to England at 1/3 the price and 1/3 the delivery time!!). I also got tracking numbers for everything and guess what? It's Saturday and 2 packages have already arrived!

If it were any easier, I'd do it again.

But I'm still in need of motivation and I tihnk this morning I got it. When I left for bed last night, my week's auctions were at a paltry $14.83. 84 auctions and nothing to show (which doesn't help with the motivation either, really) for it. Well, this morning that changed as the sales now total $56.56 which is a fantastic jump n 8 hours!!

And off I go to list more items for tomorrow!! Motivation ON!!

No comments: