Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Reflections of What Used to be

Found on another blog... who got it from an unknown meme...

1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?

Going into life completely on faith. I'd always done half-heartedly before, but I know there's something out there for me and I need faith to see me through to wherever it is I'm ending up.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Done and done!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
In 2003, yes.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year (phew). Although, there was that one lady at work who I'd written up in her evaluation. She died.

5. What countries did you visit?
The U.S.A. Like I had money/time to go anywhere else. It's 3 minutes from my (old) office to the U.S. border!

6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
A career decision. A chance to use my creativity.

7. What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 21: Met up with 'My First Love' after a 12 year absence. Her baby is due any day now... (not mine!)
October 8th: Last day in the same office as the Co-workers from Hell.
October 27th: Last day of work, a.k.a. Co-workers from Hell get their revenge.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
"Getting it." Knowing, as I wlake dot that fateful meeting, that it was exactly the right time for me to leave work and not regret it.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Even thinking of doing anything more than being a friend with 'Sex Caffeine.'

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I slipped and fell one day at work. Otherwise, just the plague in mid-December.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
The new car was a definite big purchase. Hey! Just realized that was something else change changed in both 1994 and 2004!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My wife. She stuck with me the entire time I was a selfish prick. You stay, girl!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Mine for the most part. Oh, and the Co-workers From Hell. Still can't get over how unbelievably stupid they were.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage. Bills. Car payments.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The realization that not having to go into work anymore was a good thing.

16. What song will always remind you of 2004?
'Falling' by Ben Kweller.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? Oh, ummmm. The weight didn't change (fluctuated, and I did lose 35 pounds at one point) but I am definitely more physically fit now than before... less body fat, does that count?
c) richer or poorer? Poorer. Comes with being unemployed and then getting screwed around on over half my overtime claim. Richer in life, faith and knowing who my friends are, though.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Spent time with my family instead of focusing on work. Seriously, where did it get me?

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Work. Paid work (and the screwy overtime) and even volunteer work. I was burnt out for a good few months there.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Duhhhhrrrr.... I spent it at home with my family.

21. Did you fall in love in 2004?
Yes. I fell deeply and madly in love with my wife all over again.

22. How many one-night stands?
Zilch.

23. What was your favorite TV program?
'Hush' really jumped out at me this year. It's really quite well done. And Paget Brewster made my top 100 sexy women list as well.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Let me just say that I "strongly dislike" many people. Wait...Michael Moore...I hate him.

25. What was the best book you read?
"Candide" by Voltaire

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Tammany Hall NYC. 'Back in the Bottle' would be my #2 answer for question #16.

27. What did you want and get?
A new car!!

28. What did you want and not get?
The chance to redeem myself in my old, old, old, old department.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. That, or 'Hero.'

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went and saw Spider-Man 2 in a crappy theatre. And I turned 29 for a 3rd straight year!

31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
My boss (from Hell!) getting arrested for DUI. Stupid bastard.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
Metro-sexual. Oh yeah, baby. I stepped it up a notch in '04.

33. What kept you sane?
Writing here. Telling secrets to 300 or so people...

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jon Stewart. Wait. Does that sound gay? OK, I admired Jon Stewart, but if you want to go with 'fancy' then it was definitely Jennifer Garner. (I even put her in Sims 2, eh?)

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Screw the U.S. election. We had one in Canada too and I so wanted Belinda Stronach to lead the Conservative party to victory!!! She woulda had any politician eating out of her hand and that would be a good thing.

36. Who did you miss?
My family here at home. How I could work 10 miles away and make it seem like 5,000 I'll never figure out --or forgive myself for doing.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
There's been a handful of people I've met through this blog and I now read theirs on daily basis (regardless, Madley and Julie, if they post every day). Otherwise, I don't think there was anyone new.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004.
If you gut instinct is telling you that this person is an idiot --go with your gut instinct.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Again, gotta go with Ben Kweller's 'Falling':

Hey, trees fall and so do men

Even the walls start caving in
And you feel like there's no pretend for you

I don't feel like I'm falling
No I don't feel like I'm falling
No I don't feel like I'm falling down
Just say hello to the ground

We could talk if days weren't so fast
And mistakes just leave it so unsure
Wanna hold you like never before
Cause we're falling and I love you more and more
 

G'night.

1 comment:

Dreama said...

nice post....I may steal it from you soon...great news about the you and your wife though. we were all worried about you and great to hear you came out on top...so to speak (another "wordism")