Monday, November 29, 2004

My Scholastic Theory of Life

I was reading a story last night and one of the characters referred to his "French Dictation Theory of Life."

Essentially, there are 2 kinds of people: the first are history essay people, who start life with a blank sheet, no score and accumulate points with every success they achieve. Next is the French dictation people who start out with 100% and end up with a deduction from their perfect score for every mistake they make. In essence, some people are built to achieve through success and others are dragged down from every mistake.

Interesting theory, and it led me to look at other subjects I took in high school and view them as part of this theory --the Scholastic Theory of Life.

Math: Essentially, you start out with nothing and instead of being rewarded just for the successes, you can be rewarded just by showing the formula you used along the way. It may not be perfect and you may not be successful, but you've built something to help move yourself forward.

Computer Science: (This may work me only as I wasn't particularly good with programming aspect) Like Math, you start out with nothing and can achieve some success by following the formula. Although what really builds you is a successful execution of your work. Enthusiasm (in my case) can count for a lot, but it's the final outcome which builds your score.

English: You start out with a perfect score and can only maintain it as you begin to understand everything and everyone around you and see the themese they've set up for themselves in life. Misinterpretations or the inability to clarify your argument will start your decline. Mistakes can be made, but if you can turn them in your favor they won't affect you as badly.

Art: You start out with nothing, but you can build, create and score success for originality. It's not a talent everyone has but if you can envision your success and recreate it in the physical world, you're going to be successful.

Physical Education: Everyone starts out with a perfect score, but each mistake can be costly both physically and mentally. Although a lot is said about enthusiasm and sportsmanship, it pales in comparison with actual ability when it comes to success. Making friends is not nearly as important as winning the game. [Reminds me of the Nike 1996 Olympic slogan: "you don't win silver, you lose gold."]

Science: Even your mistakes can count for something for the person who starts out with nothing. Just make sure you've written down your expectations, your plan,and your conclusions --good or bad.

So, there you have it. My [expanded] theory of life. Which one am I? Well, judging from the first two, I'd say I'm more of the French dictation type. Mistakes drag me down. But from my expanded list, I think I relate most to Physical Education. Case in point: My last job. After 7 years I can say that I have a good deal of friends there, but where are they now? And how many have tried to contact me since I left?

No comments: