Saturday, November 06, 2004

My First Day

...and thus begins the memories, eh? This marks post #250 in my blog.

The last place I worked, which shall continue to remain nameless, started back 7 years ago. I was working in a department with 7 others, although only 5 of us were in the one building. Actually, that's not true. There were about a dozen other people working there too, but none of them were in our department.

On my first day, I met my office-mate, a woman I'll simply call 'Legs.' She was very short, maybe 5'2", but she had the most amazing legs. And she always wore a skirt.

I think it was maybe 15 minutes after I got there that she insisted we go have a coffee. The nearest place was about 5 blocks away, so into her BMW we climbed and off we went. We discussed, over about 45 minutes, what she expected out of her office mate and, since I was an "assistant" to 3 of the others there (the 5th person was the front desk receptionist). We each had a coffee and she had a bagel with smoked salmon cream cheese.

Disgusting.

It just occurred to me that I was the last 'surviving' person from that office area. Most were gone by 2000 with me holding off until 2004. One of the 2 working in another building is still around and I had lunch with her on Monday.

Back to Legs --sorry. Legs was a single mother, her son was about 4 or 5 years old I think. She was constantly going on about "looking for Mr. Right" and the other 2 ladies in the office area would join in. I'd hide every once in a while as one woman was quite... boisterous. The first time I met her she had to adjust her bra and looked at me and said, "Deal with it." By the time the first year there was done, I'd actually told my office mate she needed to have sex just so she'd shut up and get back to work. Not sure what surprised her more. The fact that young-and-innocent me would say something like that (my nickname back then was 'puppy' because I was only 24 years old) or just the plain fact that I was right.

We played a ton of practical jokes on one another. There was one time with a plastic frog under some paperwork. Same thing with the spring-loaded rat that jumped out from under the phone when you picked up the receiver. The revenge joke which had one woman's desktop stuck to the ceiling (where only one guy could reach with the ladder) or the indoor/outdoor snowball fight.

Good times.

No comments: