Monday, November 22, 2004

My Hike

So, Saturday afternoon we had a break in our 'couples' sessions. (did I ever explain that in the last post?) A bunch of us decided to go on one of the hiking trails up the mountain. We decided to go on the second-most steepest trail to a lookout point where you can see almost all the way to Seattle and about 60 miles north into the Coast Mountains. There were 6 of us and one of the couple is one who has annoyed since I got married. They 'forgot' to come to the wedding, then asked us 2 months later when we were getitng married and about a month after that the lady introcuded herself to me... idiot.

While we're going up the trail she was blabbing on and on about bears and turned and asked me what they ate beore hibernating. "Chatty women," I replied. That kept her quiet for a few minutes.

I learned that the other 2 guys on the hike had no idea how to read a map and made a mental note that neither one would remain a candidate for My Amazing Race Plan. We continued hiking and when we hit the steepest portion half the group got further ahead of us and around a bend we couldn't see. I saw jackets further ahead and started towards them and suddenly realized they were carrying rifles.

I found hunters less than 10 minutes from our room.

When we made it to the top of the lookout, we hung around for a while and talked about our favorite reality shows (mine are Amazing Race and Survivor) and what made them so good.

And then the gunfire started.

We made our way down the mountainside and I commented that my sweater looked a little too "bear like" with gunfire in the area. One of the ladies regretted wearing her brown leather jacket and I just encouraged her not to pretend she had antlers...

The gunshots continued and seemed to be close as we got down the mountain. We reached a fork in the trail and one of the guys seemed to think that going to the right would lead to some railway tressles. So, off we veered to the right just as the gunfire sounded from just over the crest. We're walking right into it.

The cynical Canadian in me came out and I shouted "Use your remote to change the channel!!!" And off we walked --quickly-- amidst the gunfire.

And thus another item is wiped off My Life List....

No comments: