Thursday, November 25, 2004

My Order of Disorder

So, this is my personality disorder, eh?

I admit to laughing a bit too long and too loud for this question:

Are you often critical of weakness in others, particularly classmates or coworkers? Honestly? Only if they're FROM HELL!!

DisorderRating
Paranoid:High
Schizoid:Low
Schizotypal:Moderate
Antisocial:High
Borderline:Low
Histrionic:Moderate
Narcissistic:High
Avoidant:High
Dependent:Moderate
Obsessive-Compulsive:Low

-- Personality Disorder Test - Take It! --

So, what does all this mean exactly?

Paranoid
Paranoid personality disorder is characterized by a distrust of others and a constant suspicion that people around you have sinister motives. People with this disorder tend to have excessive trust in their own knowledge and abilities and usually avoid close relationships with others. They search for hidden meanings in everything and read hostile intentions into the actions of others. They are quick to challenge the loyalties of friends and loved ones and often appear cold and distant to others. They usually shift blame to others and tend to carry long grudges.


Yeah, I'd agree somewhat with that. I have been known to carry grudges for quite a while. At work, I always felt that certain people were talking about me and "making plans" for me. It may have been coincidence, but the guy who sat me down to say "that's it, you're through here" rubbed me the wrong way for a few years. I was always uncomfortable around him and my old boss (From Hell!) also fell into that category. I even said in one post that I felt I was being set up for something bad....

Antisocial
A common misconception is that antisocial personality disorder refers to people who have poor social skills. The opposite is often the case. Instead, antisocial personality disorder is characterized by a lack of conscience. People with this disorder are prone to criminal behaviour, believing that their victims are weak and deserving of being taken advantage of. They tend to lie and steal. Often, they are careless with money and take action without thinking about consequences. They are often aggressive and are much more concerned with their own needs than the needs of others.


Hmmm.... Well, I think this one is more a reflection of how I used to be when I was a teenager. Definitely had antisocial behaviour at times in high school. I lied and stole all the time when I was 12-14.

Narcissistic
Narcissistic personality disorder is characterized by self-centeredness. Like histrionic disorder, people with this disorder seek attention and praise. They exaggerate their achievements, expecting others to recognize them as being superior. They tend to be choosy about picking friends, since they believe that not just anyone is worthy of being their friend. They tend to make good first impressions, yet have difficulty maintaining long-lasting relationships. They are generally uninterested in the feelings of others and may take advantage of them.


Again, I agree and disagree with this one. I like getting attention and appreciate praise --when it's due. I admit to getting a little miffed when, say, 5 of us are working our butts off and 4 get a big thank you. Hello? Sure, in some instances that makes me self-centered, but as the great philosopher Don Cherry once said, "God bless me." I am choosy about my friends and I'd like to say that friends stay friends for life --but that just doesn't happen. Actually, I had a plan at one point to try and get people to vote for me as the 'Greatest Canadian.' But I obviously didn't follow through on it.

Avoidant
Avoidant personality disorder is characterized by extreme social anxiety. People with this disorder often feel inadequate, avoid social situations, and seek out jobs with little contact with others. They are fearful of being rejected and worry about embarrassing themselves in front of others. They exaggerate the potential difficulties of new situations to rationalize avoiding them. Often, they will create fantasy worlds to substitute for the real one. Unlike schizoid personality disorder, avoidant people yearn for social relations yet feel they are unable to obtain them. They are frequently depressed and have low self-confidence.


I wonder if 'create fantasy worlds' lends itself to mega-daydreaming. In college, I once wrote a play about a guy unknowingly in a coma who dreamt up a world with fantastic looking people who would sit on the grassy hills and share stories with him. I got an 'A+' for that (and I'm not
exaggerating!). I hate it when I do something stupid in front of others.

Even tonight I said something that people took offence to. We were discussing a church campground and the 'fond' memories everyone has of it. I said I didn't have any fond memories since something bad happened every time I've went there. The first year I got my first ever speeding ticket on the way there. The second year, some people joined us in our cabin at about 3 in the morning and their son used a collapsible water container as his pillow. He couldn't get to sleep and kept moving around causing the water to 'slosh' which made me have to go to the bathroom... and then never back to sleep. The third year, my daughter barfed all over me and the only 'spare shirt' I had in the car was a Chinese beer shirt that was one size too small. So, I
don't miss going there.

So there you have it. My personality disorders for all to see. Time for sleep.


No comments: