Thursday, June 17, 2004

My Minor Moments


Today was a strange day.  I started work later than usual, so I was going to be home later in the day than -obviously- I normally would.  Ended up leaving at the same time, though.  I couldn't stand to be there any longer.

I woke up to screaming at 8 this morning, which doesn't necessarily sound "early," but I'd been working on projects 'til 3.  As if the screaming wasn't enough, my morning constitutional (which I refer to as the "three sh's: shit, shower, and shave") was constantly interrupted.  Then, as I went to make some toast for breakfast, the interrogation began.

I'd spent some money the previous day, foolishly spending 1% (one freakin' percent) of my paycheck on clothes.  Big whoop.  Apparently so and I was grilled about it.  I also picked up a few things for work and that was wrong too --even thought the expense-claim goes in immediately and the money
(all $19.00's worth) will be back in the bank account by next Friday.

Then, as I ate my cold toast and drank my cold coffee, I was asked when I was planning on mowing the lawn.  Wasting the day, after all --here it is 9:30 already.  A quick toss of the cold coffee into the sink (I was a few feet away at the time, but it was for dramatic purposes and the toss was sans mug) and I was heading outside to starts mowing the lawn.  Preferrably I would have liked to have renewed my allergy prescription first, but that would apparently be out of line this "late" in the day.

So, with lawn mowed, it was time for shower #2 and hopefully enough nasal power to blow out the crusties (told you: allergies and grass is the major one).  By the time shower #2 was over, I started to get lecture #2 for the day, this time about my lack of eBay sales recently (although, last week I had 45+ items
up for sale).  My argument is always the same:  Everytime I sit down at the computer, the first interruption is always: "Are you going to be on there all day?"  (which is why I'm up until 3 trying to work on things)

By 11, I'd had enough and was ready to go to work and head to the drug store for my prescription.  I had a feeling this one wasn't covered by my plan, but I assured my wife I'd call her "just in case" I had to spend money.  She said it wasn't necessary, but seeing as how I'd been grilled earlier for every cent, I thought it best to act whipped and said so. 
Didn't go over well, but I was already heading out the door.

I had hours to kill by the time I got to the office and instead of sitting in front of the computer, I headed outdoors and read a book instead.  Before heading out, though, I took a quick walk through the building and ran into the mail carrier.  She told me there was mail back in her office (I don't have mine delivered anymore since I caught Drama Queen snooping one day), so I headed over there to pick it up.  Inside the first envelope was a postcard....  It made my day.

I headed outside and laid down on the grass.  I eventually fell asleep (no surprise there), but was smart enough to set the alarm on my cell phone and placed it on my chest (it's a vibrating alarm).

It felt so good to relax.

Next up was a visit to my old department, since a dear friend was returning to move into her new office (coincidentally, Sex Caffeine's old office which also used to be my old office --Sex Caffeine has now moved across the hallway into... my old office from 4 years ago --phew!!).  So, spent a bit of time talking
to her & Princess (he's a friend of hers too).  SC walked past, I said hello and she smiled and waved, but walked into her office and closed the door.  I haven't seen her act like that since "the big breakup" a year ago this past April.  Princess, in on the whole story, saw my reaction and he assured me "she's been aloof all day."

Aloof?

I know what aloof means: emotionally and physically withdrawn, but for some strange reason 'aloof' took on a whole new meaning coming from this magnificent gay man.  And I told him so.

Who knew the working day would be better than the time off?

1 comment:

Dreama said...

so e-bay again, huh? what is your userid on e-bay so I can take a peek?