Tuesday, June 01, 2004

My Sit-Com
Remember those sit-coms that 'jumped the shark' around the 5th or 6th season when, for one inane reason or another, some kid (a friend, an orphan of a relative, a punk off the street) would move into the house? I remember joking about that back in the early 90s when it actually happened to my family. My sister had moved out of the house (but was soon to come back) and suddenly in moves this other girl. She was kind of a punk, but a friend of my sister's and in need of a place to stay.

My family jumped the shark.

And as if that wasn't bad enough, that Christmas we had our own 'family holiday special' where every friend dropped the house on Christmas Day to enjoy the holiday with us and have dinner. Seriously, like 20 freakin' people. I was actually living in a sit-com.

And I thought those sit-com days were over. I was wrong.
It seems the sit-com I'm in these days is the classic "Will they or won't they?" storyline. Remember Sam & Diane? Niles & Daphne? Ross and Rachel? How 'bout Hairyhoser and Sex Caffeine? Here I am, pretty much with divorce papers in hand and ready to move on to a new stage of my life. Ready to tell the world about just how crappy my life has gotten over the past few months. Ready to look Sex Caffeine in the face and say, "Let's do this. I should have been here all along." Ready for, well, anything.

And today I meet SC's new boyfriend. At least I can always count on life being complicated. 'Cuz wait'll I write out the next episode in my sit-com.

No comments: