Monday, June 21, 2004

My Final Firefighting Technique


I let my boss know that Friday night was the last time I was putting out any fires started by Drama Queen.  He'd mistakenly asked her if she'd "gone over" the checklist he'd given her (yep, he's had to start using micromanagement techniques on her to ensure the works gets done) for a big thing
happening on Saturday.  "Yes, I went over the checklist," she says as she leaves the office early on Friday...

She did go over the checklist --but she didn't actually check off everything on the list.  Which my boss discovered 2 minutes before most departments close on a Friday.

So there I am, running in 4 directions at once trying to cover up all the mistakes that have been made.  Oh, she got the booklets photocopied all right, but she didn't fill out the forms properly, so they were transferred to the shipping department and they assumed the most logical spot for them to go --6 blocks away.  Fortunately, I've known the head of shipping for a good 5 years now and he drove over and picked up the booklets. 

While he did that, I borrowed his office and contacted catering services to make arrangements for food and refreshments 16 hours in advance of the big thing starting.  Thank God I'd complimented his department at a meeting on Monday...

As I ran over to sign off on the catering, I also contacted the security department via cell phone for the passes DQ had called about.  she'd made the arrangements, but said nothing about anyone having to pick them up.  That, and to ensure that security would be on-hand for the early arrivals.  4 years ago, I was at a workshop with the head of security and we discovered we had some hobbies in common.  It's helped out numerous times (also explains why my parking permit serial number is 00001 too).

Okay, so it took 5 minutes to get everything done, but I busted my ass in those 5 minutes to make sure everything went off without a hitch.  I was actually huffing and puffing by the time I got back to the office (allergies and all).  My boss knows who he can count on in a crunch.  Let's just make sure he doesn't forget over the summer.  Again.

Not going to miss her when she's gone.  At least I got a good laugh out of it when I read this Dilbert on Sunday:



1 comment:

Dreama said...

love the Dilbert...it says heaps about DQ.