Monday, June 28, 2004

My Hulk Persona


HOSER SMASH!!!!!

RRAARRRGGHHHH!!!!

Nope, not a good weekend.  As I write this, I'm using my old Celeron 300 computer instead of my Athlon XP super-system.  Why?  I said my system wen 'plooey' in my last post and now it's officially toast --losing 67GB of information in the process.  Could've been worse.  I had less than 500mb of space left on it at one point.

What really made me mad, though, was that I was getting "the pressure" again about selling things on eBay.  I've sold one thing in the past 3 weeks (and it sold for $42 so I'm feeling pretty good about it) and my goal was to have in excess of thirty (yep, 30) items for sale by 6pm on Sunday.  Now, I could cheat a little, since I have 20 or so items left over from my last big batch to relist, but I'd been doing research on Friday to find things that actually sold.  No more selling things cheap on the relist to dump the seller fees, I'd like to sell something for REAL money.

Saturday was set-up day and I spent a good portion of the morning writing out the descriptions for each item and doing some last minute research when I'd see something for sale that I own as well.  I also spent a good 4 hours doing virus sweeps and removal procedures but to no avail.  Whatever I got wasn't coming up with NAV, but the re-install of WinXP seemed to fix a number of things.  I then added a firewall program and it stopped the pop-up windows cold.  I thought it best to start backing up my files, though.  I don't trust the machine.

I'd planned for nearly a month now that I would not be going to church this Sunday.  I'm still feeling burnt out and need a break and having a number of things I still wanted to finish up, I thought the timing was good. I'm still of the opinion that I'll go to church because I want to go, not because I have to go --or expected to go.

But then there's the wife.  And my unacceptable decision.  While she continuously complains that we don't have enough money coming in and I need to do more about it, she won't give me space to actually get all the work done.  Hence, I can start preparing, but I can never finish.  So, when I'm almost ready to list a good number of items, she insists that if I'm staying home, then so is my son.  

Fine, then I won't get anything done today --he's too much to handle if I'm trying to work too.

Not an hour later, I'm holding my son and look over to the computer.  It's frozen, so I simply hit the 'reset' button.

And nothing happens.

It's fried.  The hard-drive won't read anymore.  I have to wait another 90 minutes before my wife gets home and I can start setting up my old system downstairs to try and salvage anything for listing.  I'd planned on 30-plus items by 6pm.  By 4pm, I'd finally installed security updates galore for the old Win98SE system and was "ready" to try and get something going.  My eBay listing program won't work on the old computer, so it was going to be done manually instead. 

At 4:30, my wife decided we needed to go early to meet my parents for dinner and try and get the boy to finally have a nap --he'd been awake all day and usually sleeps for a good 90 minutes or so each day.  Nothing today.

My goal: 30+ items on eBay.

My actual result: 1 item on eBay.

My frustration level:  Through the roof and beyond the stars, baby.

The computer goes in for servicing today.  Even the keyboard on this one sucks...


No comments: