Sunday, January 11, 2004

My Resolutions


I believe that new resolutions don't start immediately after New Year's
because that just sucks.

Nope, for me resolutions should officially begin at the end of the 'Christmas
season.' January 6th.

People still have treats and leftovers and other things so you're killing
yourself over breaking resolutions if you eat too much or dip into the chocolate
again immediately after January 1st.

My big resolution, being a selfish prick, started in mid-December and I'm
still going strong.  I am a prick right now and I'm loving it!  That's
what My Year is all about.  Thinking about me for once instead of everyone
else.  How do others feel about me?  WHO CARES!

My second resolution was to cut down on Coca Cola.  I stopped
calling it 'Coke' after I bought some at store in Washington state one time. 
When I came back across the border, the customs office asked me what I'd bought
and I said, "Just some Coke."  The look on his face...  Anyway, to
'cut down' is better than to 'cut' it out completely.  That way, when I
have a Coca Cola, I can think to myself "whoops.  When was the last time
you had a can?"  Which is much better than thinking 'GAH!  I blew my
resolution!"  Now I see how much time has passed between cans to see if I'm
actually cutting down.  I got to the point where I was having a can day
until I ran out (in which case I usually rushed to get to the store to buy
more), but now I'm cutting back and have had 5 cans since Christmas.  I
eased into my resolution.

My third resolution involves friends.  I don't have friends to speak of
anymore.  I have people I associate with, but I honestly don't have anyone
who'd call me on a Saturday to watch a hockey game or drop by for a cup of
coffee.  Oddly enough, the last person I considered a friend joined the
RCMP and moved away last Spring.  He actually came down last week and I
almost literally walked into him at Starbucks.  We had coffee then. 
So, I need new friends.  Along with this is trying to get a hold of
old friends and I managed to get the phone number for the guy who was my best
man.  I haven't spoken to him since at least last February and I do feel
bad about it.  I'm working on this one now and it's looking hopeful. It's
going hand in hand with my last resolution: Do things that make me better
Doesn't seem to fit with my big resolution, but I think once I start feeling
more confident in myself, then I'll start doing things that do make me better.

We'll see.

No comments: