Tuesday, January 20, 2004

My 'Kids'


This has most likely taken me the longest to write just because I don't know
what to say.

I refer to the people who work for me as 'kids' simply because, with the
exception of one, they are all younger than me.  For the most part they're
between 18 and 21.  I was originally going to write about each of 'My
Kids', but found I was having difficulty with 2 things:

1 - I want nicknames for everyone I talk about in these blogs and I can't think
of nicknames for each of the 'Kids.'

2 - Some of them I really have very little to say...

 There's two in particular that really stand out. Alberta & Sunnie. 
Now, Sunnie's nickname is spelled with an 'ie' instead of a 'y' simply because I
know a few people named 'Sunny' and she's better than all of them put together.

Oh, I guess this is as good a time as any to point out that all the kids are
female... hehe.

Sunnie is my dance partner/stylist and other such interesting things... 
She had hair extensions earlier in the fall and we spent a good portion of a
morning pulling them out when they started looking really bad.  Really
bad.  And really smelly.  She took a kinesiology "course" in
the springtime that focused on dancing and relay sports.  I say
"course" because I went to university to study history and here's
these kids taking kinesiology and running in figure-8's and dancing for their
grades...  WHAT THE HELL!?!?!!?  I feel like I've wasted my life when
I see people getting degrees for this.  For her final assignment, she need
to put together a little dance routine and she & I spent hours in the office
hallways rehearsing her dance steps.  I guess I bring out enthusiasm in
these kids because they never intend to do any of these things with my
Co-Workers From Hell. (CWFH work with me whereas My 'ids' work for
me...).  Sunnie is also on the rowing team and is quite enthusiastic that
I'm working on a diet and exercise program right now.  She has a tendency
to sit behind me and shout whenever I'm warming up on the rowing machine
though... comes from her team experiences.  I'm just warming up!

So, why Sunnie for a nickname?  This morning is a foggy, dreary day and I
guarantee you the moment Sunnie walks through the door she's going to be excited
to be here and happy to see us and looking forward to another day of work. 
Yes, she's alone in that, but the enthusiasm is infectious.  Everything is
positive with Sunnie.  She won't admit to it, but she always asks if I'm
going to be around for her shifts just because one of the CWFH is really
annoying and (I guess) brings Sunnie down when they have to work on things
together.  Just before Christmas, a number of the 'Kids' were talking about
going Christmas Carolling and were trying to think of which areas they should go
and sing. Sunnie spoke up quite quickly and said, "Let's go to the trailer
park.  I bet nobody ever thinks of singing carols in a trailer
park!"  I was invited to come along and, as tempting as that was, I
was scheduled to be in the office until about 10 that night and couldn't go.

So they came to see me and sing a couple of songs. 

I knew another friend was working in another office on the other side of the
campus, so I called her up so she could hear the songs too. Sunnie has also
convinced me to join her 3 days a week to go for a run and now there are about a
half-dozen or so people coming along.  It looks funny to see this big group
running by the campus, especially at lunchtime when many staff people leave for
lunch.  And, yes, I'm the old fart running with all the young ones.

So, the other Kid is Alberta.  Alberta is one of these 'ultimate athlete'
types. She plays on the soccer team, the volleyball team and is trying out for
the rowing team.  she's a full-time student and she works here full-time as
well.  That's, like, a triple full schedule.  Alberta, coincidentally,
is from Alberta.  She's another one who's gotten quite excited about my new
exercise/diet program.  She's brought in several recipes for me to try
(including a great one for chocolate cookies) and checks up on me to make sure
I'm following my diet plan and eating the right foods at the right time.  I
forgot to have a 'snack' the other ay and she was all over me about it.  To
the point that when it came to dinnertime, she insisted on going out and getting
me my dinner to ensure I ate what I should be having.  It's great.

There are more of 'My Kids' here, but none of them have been having the same
impact on me that these 2 have had.  Sunnie graduates in a year and Alberta
should be around for 2 or 3 more years.  That's good enough for me.


No comments: