Sunday, January 11, 2004

My Game


I've mentioned Sex Caffeine (SC for short) before.

I'm avoiding her.

Last Christmas my thought was 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' and use that
to justify any feelings there were between us.  It happened again over the
spring & summer.  This time, however, I'm pretty much just ignoring her and
letting the game begin.

It's childish, sure, but it's the only way I can get over the feeling of
discomfort I have around her.  We both admit there were feelings and that
neither one of us could do anything about it, but I'm nervous around her after
she freaked out over the whole 'coffee' thing. 

What's next, I ask myself.

So, avoidance is good.  She'll hear stories I'm sure every once in a while
about what I'm doing, but I'm leaving it up to her to make any moves.  If
she wants to be friends, then she's gotta do something about it.  If she
wants to be more than that --then she's really going to have to work at it.

It's good for me in other ways too as I don't have to associate with anyone in
my old department now.  It's the break I've been waiting for and it's
finally here.

Yes, she has said hello to me in the hallway once already since we got back and
that usually prompted numerous emails back and forth.  But my response this
time was a quick 'hi' without even slowing my pace.  I cringed on Wednesday
morning when I realized they were in a meeting and I had to walk by the meeting
room with its (now in my mind) too many windows.  I managed to slow my pace
and stop in to 'visit' with people to avoid the meeting area.  Phew.

So, the game is on now.  She initiated the first talk and I've avoided
everything else. 

That's one week down. Only 51 more to go.

No comments: