Sunday, January 25, 2004

My Goals - Diet and Exercise Revisited


[ring! ring!] "Yeah?"

"Knee? This is Brain.  What the Hell's going on down there?

"Well, we're not sure what happened.  How's Left Knee holding up? 
Keeping balance?"

"No, I'm having trouble with both of you, what's going on?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing!"




Okay, I hate lunges.  Two days of My Exercise Program list 'lunges' as
parts of my program.  I do lunges with dumbbells in each hand and then I
have a really complicated weight pulley system where I stand partially erect and
pull the weight towards me (about 35 pounds right now). I bend my elbow to bring
my hand to centre-chest and then turn in the opposite direction into a lunge.

But after doing 45 lunges with the dumbbells, my knees didn't really feel like
doing anything except seeing if they could make me face the ceiling.  I
was, to put it mildly, a little wobbly.

I have goals that I'm following with My Personal Trainer.  The big one of
course is weight loss.  I have several secondary ones as well including my
'warm-ups' of 10 minutes on the rowing machine.  I want to see how far I
can on the machine.  It's good to have goals.

My big goal, weight loss, is to lose 35 pounds by April and I've shed 5 in my
first week of training.  Today being Sunday, I'm definitely feeling the
effects of my exercise training, but I'm still feeling good about tomorrow. 
I'll be headed into the office for around Noon so that I have time to get a good
workout in and have time for a shower before starting work for the day.

My last visit with my trainer also brought up another interesting point:

Every 10 years we've shed every single skin cell on our body.  In essence,
we're starting anew every decade.  That had a profound effect on me. 
The last time I made so many changes in my life was 1994.

I'm starting everything, body and soul, fresh in 2004.

No comments: