Thursday, June 09, 2005

Two Young Kids

My wife is working this morning, so my mega-schoolwork time is being cut into as I take on the Daddy role again for a few more hours.

I know people say TV is bad for kids --especially A LOT of TV, but there are times wehn it's necessary. Like when a father was working hard on schoolwork until after 3am and then got up at 7am to take care of the children. "Take care" in this situation means make sure there's food in their stomachs, they're dressed (by 10am at least) and that they're preoccupied while I attempt to:
1. Eat
2. Drink coffee (to wake up)
3. Get the garbage out
4. Try and shower

My son has serious abandonment issues (no idea why) so he needs to be distracted if the lone parent is going to shower. After bugging one of my classmates who is at school Tuesday thru Friday without going home (for a shower or anything), I think I'd better shower at least once before heading to class tomorrow morning.

The boy is fed and seems happy eating fruit leather and a couple of arrowroots (he had Crispix for breakfast, don't worry), so I might just get that shower in yet!!

Oh, one more thing. I heard this last night and thought it interesting enough to share. Apparently, studies show that when a child is born, their frontal lobe synapses form just before birth. The synapses require human touch in order to fully function and if the child isn't held within an hour(? more? Can't recall the exact amount of time) then these synapses shut down and die. Desire for human contact dies within hours of birth if something isn't done. Essentially, this leads to social deviancy and no social skills while growing up.

Makes me happy I got to hold my kids immediately after each was born. This came up during a discussion about some friends who had a baby boy early last Saturday. He's adorable --and light!!

1 comment:

Madley said...

Great factoid... I've always known that about touch and newborns for some reason. And I actually researched volunteering at some local hospitals and holding babies that have no touching at all (HIV babies, etc)... can you believe there's a stinking waiting list for that!

Your kids are lucky to have you.