Friday, June 24, 2005

Big Distraction

Oh good Lord, I'm procrastinating right now...

It's not that I'm supposed to be doing anything right now --I still have a week off from school-- but I'd planned on getting a bunch of things on eBay this past weekend in order to have the money come in and have everything shipped --sans distractions-- before school starts again.

Whoops.

Last weekend proved too busy. So, I planned on Thursday. Didn't make it, so now I plan on doing some eBay stuff for Sunday. The only problem is that now they'll be ending July 3rd (any Americans actually stay home on the July 4th weekend???) and while I was hoping for $800+ for these, I'll be lucky if it's more like $500+...

Damn.

That, and I've suddenly discovered a skill I'm more than moderately good at in 'Ultima Online.' "UO" is what is called a MMORPG or Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. Anyway, it's a medieval-style game and one of my characters showed an affinity towards... of all things... fishing. Yep, send the line out and pull it back in... I've just caught a fish...

Basically, the skill of 'fishing' is rated out of 100. All characters (most characters) start out with ZERO skill points, but it can easily climb with a few attempts at fishing. Of course, you need money to buy a boat and sail the seas. Done that. I found a website that lists the different things that happen as you skill climbs. When you hit '10' you start catching fish. Below 10 you find a lot of boots . Once you hit 65, you can start deepsea fishing. AND, at 65 you can start searching for sunken treasure. How do you find sunken treasure? Well, at 100 you can start pulling up messages in bottles.... so it's best to buy them off other players for now. At 80... you can grab special fishing nets (which mainly just bring up really nasty sea monsters) and BIG FISH. Okay, so I'm playing to get to the BIG FISH. There's a website dedicated to them...

Hehe.

The problem is that the skill doesn't continuously climb. Nope, it goes in spurts and although an article written a couple year's back says you can get to 100 in 30 hours... I've had the game running basically for 100+ hours and am now at 69.4. Yes, there are MACRO keys and I have one running but it still needs regular "check-ups" and character moves to continue "climbing." Very tiring. VERY tiring.

Right now I'm trying for my second sunken treasure chest. Haven't found it yet, but only been trying for about 2 and a half hours.... So very tired.

Even worse... You know you've procrastinated too much when it's suddenly 8:30pm on Friday and you still think it's Thursday... Oh crap!

I planned on 97 things to start on Thursday and another 100+ on Sunday. So far, 21 of the original 97 are ready to go. Ugh. Good thing tomorrow's... Saturday, right?

No comments: