Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Superficial

My 3 mega-major term projects are now complete and I can breathe a little easier heading into the "weekend." I still have 2 assignments due, but they're both weighted as minor ones. Phew.

Still have 3 classes in total to go to.

One is for the writing class and we were told a week ahead of time that our term project (worth 30% of the mark in a program where a "pass" is 70%) was due in a week instead of the planned/prioritized 2 weeks. I also had an extra-credit assignment due to get rid of my one 'C' out of the 6 essays we did. Fortunately, I got an 'A' on the extra-credit assignment. Double-phew!

We had, for our animation class, until 12:30 yesterday to complete our final 10-second animation. Mine was 12 seconds and completed at 3am on Monday morning. 16 of 25 people had theirs complete before class started and the instructor was completely speechless. Apparently, that just doesn't happen and he expected a scramble of students trying to finish off their work in time. Submission at 12:31pm was an automatic fail for the semester....
Triple-phew!

My mean-and-nasty-and-I-really-hate-going class had the final exam and final presentation this morning. We had to design a post-modern building using 2 artistic influences (the instructor picked the artist and architecture for us). I did a cafe based on the Roman Colosseum and the style of Vincent Van Gogh. The guy who presented before me failed his Egyptian pyramid-style/Otomo (sp?) influenced building because he didn't have any windows. and that his ornate designs on the side of the building were all "superficial." He asked her what she meant by that (we all know it basically means "trivial") and she said if it could be painted over, it was superficial. He got 53% for his work. I got 88% on mine, but lost marks because Van Gogh's influence was consdered, by her, "superficial." The windows were based on Van Gogh's Starry Night with a spiral design. So, I asked her if she thought someone might paint over the windows or if she thought a building influenced by such an open-air building as the Colosseum didn't need windows. She just glared at me and had the next presenter start. So glad that's over and done!
Gazillion-phews!!!

No comments: