Monday, February 28, 2005

Losers and Winners

OK, this post is a 2-parter. Or at least it's 2 messages on a common theme...

Managed to watch the Oscars last night, but had to go to another room for the last 30 minutes or so. My son was climbing all over me (& screaming for fun) and with my sore neck and bad arm, I just could cope anymore. Had the stereo volume higher than normal and closed captioning on and still couldn't hear/see what was going on.

Like I said, I haven't seen any of the best picture nominees and I only saw a smattering of other nominated films in the other categories. Managed to see all the animated features, though...

Now, I gushed on here before about Jennifer Garner (*sigh*) and I was struck last night at how similar Hilary Swank and Jennifer Garner look. At the same time, however, when she gave her acceptance speech, all I could think was that she seemed moments away from beating someone up. Kinda reminded me of some of the girls on the wrestling team in high school. Spooky.

Yeah, I feel sorry for Martin Scorsese, but I heard that he lamented at an after-party that he "got the message." If he goes back to New York, the movies will improve and screw the Oscars.

But this weekend had more losers than just the Oscars... (nice segue, eh?)

I've been a big fan of the local college women's basketball team for a few years now and they lost their final game of the season this weekend. Now, when you're a 17-0 team, losing hurts. It hurts even more when you lose to a team who was 11-6. And it hurts even more again when it snaps a 75-game undefeated streak in their league. But the most painful of all? A player in her final year and in her final game had known only one loss in league play in her entire college career and for her final regular season game, they pull up 11 points short. THAT is what I feel bad about. It was her second game of her career that they lost and it took 4 more years for the next loss.

But they're onto the finals now and hopefully they'll finally get the national gold they've deserved for years. Last year, they were a dislocated ankle and a concussion away....

No comments: