Monday, February 14, 2005

Be Mine, Be My Valentine

So I bought myself a Valentine's gift this year.

It's not like last year --My Year-- when everything was selfish and if I wanted anything, then I had to get it myself. Nope, I just picked up this gift and said "thanks, babe!" to my wife.

Actually, I guess it was kinda selfish 'cuz there's no way she'd pick it up on her own.

Anyway, nothing really exciting, but I bought a copy of 'Spider-Man 2' on DVD for under $10 and told her it was her Valentine's gift to me (that way she couldn't get made at me, right?).

I did the post-it note heart thing all over the house and she's found about half of them so far. I have other hidden in goofy-ass spots so it could be months before she finds all of them. By which time she'll be completely pissed with me for doing it. Enh, when I'm dead maybe she'll feel differently if she suddenly finds another heart with some lame ass comment on something she did that made me her more.

Where's the guy who wrote this blog last year? Gone. For good, I hope.

OK, time for a rant that doesn't really have anything to do with Valentine's Day but a 'current event' of sorts.

The Grammys were on last night and my wife kept trying to sneak the remote to watch a bit of it. I'm not sure what's happened to me, but I didn't seem to know any (any) of the songs nominated, so had very little interest in watching. And she was pretty annoyed too because everytime she did manage to get it on the show (we were watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition instead), she found a really bad performance of a song. I caught one and had no idea who was singing, but the song was slow and horrible, so I quickly grabbed the remote back to find something decent to watch instead. Next time, some bald woman was singing and we both kinda just stared at her head for a bit before we finally flipped back to a better show again. UPDATE: Okay, I feel bad now knowing that it was Melissa Etheridge, who's fighting breast cancer on stage . I really didn't recognize her nor recall hearing about her cancer. I'm feeling bad, so I might just make donation for the karma.

Finally, we caught the 'Across the Universe' bit. One question? Doesn't Alicia Keys sing? She totally muddled her way through her part of the song and seemed to be about one line behind the rest of the music. Horrible. Killed the song for me too as it's always been one of my fave Beatles tunes.

Which brings me to my point. The way Alicia Keys felt she had to hit several notes for each word in the lyrics is the way American Idol seems to want their "idol" to sing.

Why?

Why do people have to idolize someone who can't sing 'Happy Birthday' in less than, say, a year? What's the point? I've caught a few minutes of some episodes of 'Idol' and can't figure out why these people haven't clued in to the music played in the background doesn't match what they're trying to sing.

Just sing the damn song the way it was written. Makes up happy, dammit!!

No comments: