Friday, May 14, 2004

My So-Called Demise


As if spending the weekend in the hospital wasn't enough...  I came home
from work on Tuesday afternoon and collapsed on the couch.  I was,
obviously, exhausted and I could tell my body was failing.  I couldn't
move, I couldn't talk.  I could barely stay awake.

And then I realized I was sweating profusely.

Despite being off work at 4 and home by 4:30, I  became aware I was
sweating badly around 9:00 or so.  Feeling very strange (and wondering what
had happened to the 4 and a half hours between getting home and coming to this
perspiration predicament) I grabbed the thermometer and shoved it under my
tongue.  A minute or so later, it beeped back 100.9.  I groaned,
announced to whomever was listening that I was sick, grabbed my pillow and
headed to the basement and collapsed on the couch.  And slept.  I woke
up at 3 in the morning and was sweating even more.  Took my temperature
again: 101.9.  Not good.  Then I headed to the bathroom where I stayed
on the toilet for 45 minutes while what remained of bodily fluids escaped
me.  Then I headed to the computer and sent a message to work. 

"I'm not coming in today.  I have a fever of 101.9"

And I only got 2 phone calls all day.

It's now Friday and I'm feeling better.  My temperature is, well, temperate
and I'm a little confused as to which day it actually is.  My headache's
down to a dull roar, although the sound of the keyboard clacking sounds very odd
at the moment.  We'll see how long it's peaceful around here...

On the plus side, my paycheque arrived with an added $31 tacked on.  A
raise... who knew???

No comments: