Tuesday, May 18, 2004

My Interview


I am, right now, about 6 and a half hours' away from a job interview. 
My first interview in nearly a year.  the last 2, obviously, didn't go very far and I'm a little reluctant about this one.  It's difficult going into the interview with a positive attitude simply because I know my chances are, as
usual, slim.

And it's not like I don't meet the qualifications.  I have them all.  And it's not like I'm missing anything important from the job duties list.  It's just a natural state here that the qualified and experienced candidate isn't going to get the job.  I've complained in the past when something like this has happened, but the times it doesn't, I haven't let out a peep even when people are expecting me to say something.

When I first started this job just over a year ago, my co-worker (one of the sweetest women you could ever meet, by the way --see they're not all from Hell!!) decided to leave the department we'd both been in for "greener pastures."  although I'd only been there for close to 2 years, she'd been there for 13 or more and the parting was difficult but necessary.  She was stressed out and with me gone, her workload had almost doubled.  but that didn't stop me from applying for her job when it came up.

And no, I didn't get it.  And everyone figured I'd be mad as hell for not getting it.  I wasn't.  I even bought a congratulations gift for the person who did.  There were never any hard feelings there and I wanted to make sure they all knew that.

The last job interview I went on was for a job I wasn't completely sure I wanted.  It paid better and that was about it.  I was unsure about the people I'd be working with --I'd be the lone male in the department-- and I'd heard too many stories about them by this point too.  Besides, based on a
vow I made 4 years ago, "I'd rather clan urinal pucks than work in that department."  I didn't get that job, but know the lady who did and again, who cares?

This job I'm interviewing for today.... I want it.  The pay is great.  The people are great.  It's work I've done before and I know I can slide easily into the workload set out in the job.  Sure, there are some things that will take getting used to --new faces and obviously new demands, but I know I can handle it.  After being here for a year, I can handle anything.

But I don't want to get too confident.  Confidence at this place leads to disappointment far more often than it leads to success.  I've been here for nearly 7 years now.  I KNOW.

I know 4 other people short listed for the job.  One of the 4 has seniority over me, but has only worked in an office setting for a year.  Another one worked in the copy room up until 4 months ago and has been in an office ever since.  The third one has had an office job for 3 years and was in my office area here up until last May.  Still haven't figured out what she did though...  the 4th person is the enigma.  She hasn't worked here before and I have no idea what her qualifications are.  As for me, I've worked in an office for 7 years, including close to 2 years in a job with the exact same duties as the one I'm going for.  I had another job with similar duties for a year before that.

And I still have no idea what my chances are....

6 hours to go for my interview.

1 comment:

Big Hoser said...

ADDENDUM: I forgot to mention that this new job is not only a better paying job (by about $700-800 a month I think), but the schedule is also realistic and the chances are quite slim indeed that I'll have any overtime. Can I handle a 5-day work week again? I think so!!