Wednesday, May 26, 2004

My Make-Work Work


My boss is still away and I've completed projects due in November.  But I need to continue to look busy.  I've started a redesign of our website (despite last year's major overhaul, I'm still at it all over again).  We're waiting on a logo.  I was hoping we'd have it sooner rather than later, but 'later' always seems to be the norm around here.  In fact, we're expecting major construction in our office area in about a year that HAS to be done by September 2006.  Since I'm the veteran guy in the office, I'm of the "yeah right" opinion and can't see the goal of starting next
March.  March is the earliest date we can start the construction, but I just can't see it happening that quickly.  Others can, but then they turn around and make some stupid comment that I can see disrupting the construction
plans.  Sure enough, as if on cue, we have two other departments now asking us to hold off on the construction.  Why?  2 special events.  One in May and another in June.  JUNE.  So, let's start mid-June instead of early March.  It's not going to help get the work done on time!!

So, I'm trying to look busy and make up extra projects to work on.  I'm Photoshopping (since when did that actually become a word?) some images to make a 'collage' for the main index page of the site.  I don't know.  My boss won't like it, but I keep going anyway.  Well, I get about 75% through it and then trash it because I come to the realization that it just won't work.

It reminds me of an art teacher I had many moons ago who said that every time you give up on a drawing in your sketchbook, leave it on the page and move on to the next page.  That teacher must have invested in a sketchbook company or something.  I'd have a library of nothing but abandoned sketches and I don't think I need that.

No comments: