Thursday, May 20, 2004

My Mystery Me


When I was writing about the 'postcard idea' on Tuesday, I mentioned a camping trip I took with friends right after high school.  I talked about the postcards I sent to my prom date from Hell.  Right after the camp with my high school friends, I was supposed to go to another camp for some 'leadership' training thing that the youth group I was in at the time was taking part.  It was actually mainly for high school students, the class president and student council "keeners" who wanted a leg up on their classmates when it came to 'governing' their school.  The guy who was organizing it was involved with the school districts and with my youth group, so he felt inclined to combine both groups for this camp.

He wasn't very organized, from what I recall.  I do remember asking him for information on the camp as I was going to be in the area (about an hours' drive away) while camping with my friends.  So, pretty much an easy time getting there.  But I never heard from him until the day after I was actually
supposed to 'sign in' for the camp.  I'd contacted my parents to see if he'd left any messages (none) and contacted him again, but to no avail.  So, I came home with my friends instead of going to the camp.  And, like I said, he called the day after camp started to see what had happened to me. 
And he got an earful from this 17-year old.

It was the following Christmas that the weirdness started happening.

I got a phone call from some guy saying that he'd been thinking about me and that he was glad he met me up at the camp.  The camp I never went to.  A little while later, I got a card from a girl saying she had a great time playing 'late night' basketball up at the camp.  The camp I never went to.
For a couple of years afterward, I'd get phone calls and the occasional mail from people all talking about the great time they had with me.  At the camp I never went to.

The question now is:  Did someone claim to be me at the camp?  Or did someone pull a joke on the same level of jokes I play on people?

Think of it this way:  It's been 13 years and I'm still curious about my mystery me.

No comments: