Monday, May 17, 2004

My Emotions


I commented last week that when I get really sick, I also get really emotional and the slightest depressing thing can set me off --mostly something embarrassing too.  When I was a lot younger, I was home from school for a week and I recall watching an episode of 'Fame.'  Fame was not a show I'd go out of my way to watch, but feeling quite sick and not up to moving enough to change channels, I left it on the station and watched an episode where one girl dressed up as an old woman for a part in play (I think) and to get some research done for the part.  She met and befriended an old man and the 2 hit it off.  Eventually, she had to stop wearing the costume, but instead of the standard "TV" result (girl reveals truth, old man is hurt, girls is hurt, learns valuable lesson about "being yourself"), the girl tells him that her grandmother died during the night and that he'd been very special to her. And thus, my waterworks began...

Another time, during an episode of 'Growing Pains,' the girl's boyfriend dies while drinking and driving.  Trivia fans: Matthew Perry played the boyfriend.  Anyway, he dies and here comes another round of waterworks.  During an episode of "Hogan Family" one of the guys dies of AIDS and during his eulogy, I'm blubbering like a baby.  Maybe the
4th episode I'd ever watched of the bloody show.

Now, the only quality show I remember this happening with was an episode of  'All in the Family.' the episode when Gloria and Meathead move out.  Quite depressing too and, yep, I cried.

That one was really early in my life, but maybe that's what's caused every bawling session for the rest of my life.  It's just a leftover from a stressful time in my early life that's left a lasting impression. 

Now, if only I could figure out the whole thing with watching crappy sitcoms...

No comments: