Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The About the Solo Kitty

In the summertime I mentioned that one of my cats (born in 1994) was put down because of illness and other debilitating circumstances. That left us with his brother being a lonely cat in our home. We've had a rule since we got married that the ratio of cats to people cannot go above 1:1. Right now it's 1:4.

It's not changing anytime soon and our cat is still doing really well. He's a total oddball of a cat and goofs around a lot, but hasn't shown any signs of illness like his brother.

I got the 2 brothers out of a litter of 5 born to my sister's cat. There were 4 boys and 1 girl. The girl, my current cat, and one other all had the same markings on their fur and faces (a smudge on their nose). One of those boys was differing shades of grey, whereas the other two were brownish in color. And, yes, the 3 were apparently all fairly strange.

The grey one was adopted by the receptionist at the vet's and he lived in the hospital for almost a year before he got a little brave one day and tried to eat his way through the vet's supply of high-end cat food. So, it was off to a home for him. I never heard what happened to him after that.

My cat's twin sister was adopted by (it's a small world) the niece of 'My First Love' who lived a few blocks away from me. She was an annoying cat, apparently, and was soon an outdoor cat. She had a couple small litters of cats that of which none survived very long. Soon after that, the twin cat died as well.

The 2 cats who did not look like the others did not look like each other either. One was a big grey puffball of a cat whom I fell in love with fairly quickly and decided to keep along with one of the 'triplets.' The 5th and final cat was black-and-white and my sister adopted him. The mother proved to be an outdoor cat (a farm cat) who refused to be domesticated and was soon taken to live on a farm. She'd been adopted from the SPCA and was pregnant at the time.

So, the grey puffball died this summer and I still miss him. His brother does too, although I think he likes having free run of the house again.

My sister's cat, the black-and-white one, died on Sunday.

So, my kitty's really solo now.

1 comment:

Dreama said...

I am missing my kitties...I shipped them off to Yellowknife to be with my friend K. while I was away. Now I'm home again and kittyless...I won't be picking them up until Monday, likely, when I go to Hay River for my next eye appt. Meow!