Thursday, February 01, 2007

The One About the Near-Miss Job

So, I got the phone call on Monday. It's not completely negative. But I didn't get the job. He really thought I had a great interview (and it was the first time I've done a 'personality interview') and thinks I could have a future at the studio. But he really felt I would be better in a more creative position. And who am I to argue with that? So, the job's gone to someone else, but my name's been put forward for a more creative position which will be discussed this Friday. Who knows? I could be working by Monday!

The "career advisor" wasn't impressed when he heard that I'd accepted the offer to put my name forward for the other position. I'll never figure out these advisors. He's since recommended me for a $9 an hour job in Vancouver. I'd gross $360 a week and my fuel costs would only be $250. That 'advisor' just doesn't get it. I didn't tell him they'd already called and I turned down the offer. Dick.

One of my classmates landed a job on Monday, no thanks to the "advisors," of course. But they called him the same afternoon and faxed over an agreement that they were done looking for work (and, of course, taking credit for his employment and bragging to the poor students still attending).

I also found out I'm not the only one waiting for anything. One guy had an opportunity that fell through just before he was supposed to start. He'd been quite complacent about 'looking', especially when he already had something lined up (even if he had to wait for a month). But, now he's scrambling to find something else.

I just warned him to stay away from the "advisors."

2 comments:

Madley said...

Hang in there, HH -- I find most "creative jobs" are ALL personality interviews, especially in L.A.

When I worked in H.R. at HBO in LA they "let" me take an hiring/interviewing seminar so I could pick up some of the slack because we needed to hire lots of secretaries and assistants. I'll be damned if they didn't told us to "get to know the person" because we could read everything else in a resume or see in a portfolio. The fact that you're in there for an interview is enough to know how close you really are...

Here's hoping for the creative job soon!

Dreama said...

If I listened to the career advisors at UW, I'd probably still be working in shit jobs. They have never helped me out and I've always had much more success striking out on my own. Good luck on Friday!