Thursday, February 15, 2007

The One About A Lady, A Cane, and a Couple of High-5's

I realized today that I haven't done an update since my meeting with the 'supposed independent arbitrator' to deal with the car accident snafu. I have a couple of reasons, which I'll get into in another post. I promise.

I did have the meeting on Tuesday and my suspicions were right and it was with another representative of the insurance company and not the arbitrator as I thought was the planned schedule.

She was quite the character. She came bounding into the office using a cane (a little like 'House' without the attitude) and got down to business right away.

She admitted as the meeting began that she had not read anything in the file (which was a lot thicker than I expected) and wanted to hear from me first. I gave her a little information before she asked her first question: "Do all drivers in your town yield there if they're making a turn?" To which, of course, I answered YES. We then went through the witness' testimony and how both he & I referred to the lane I was in as a main lane and even how the insurance company initially recognized it that way. The insurance company had screwed up my intended driving and stated I was making a left-turn where I was going straight and I got that sorted out. The Google Earth satellite images also paid off as I could clearly point out the yellow lines and stop lines on the lane I was driving on, which proved that the other driver needed to yield to traffic as she was on a "feeder lane" and not a roadway, which was my argument. I then wrote out a statement point ing out the glaring errors by the insurance adjustor, the witness' testimony and the road markings with a suggestion to the arbitrator to view the parking lot area for himself. After finishing that, she read the statement for clarity, smiled and gave me a high-five as she feels confident that the decision will take the blame off me and back squarely on the shoulders of the lady who hit my car.

High-fivin' lady with a cane. Interesting.

I'll know by mid-March what the decision is. My only cynical thought right now is: 'A Thanksgiving Day accident finally closed by St. Patrick's Day'

No comments: