Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The One Before Meeting the Arbitrator

This afternoon I'm finally meeting with the "independent" arbitrator in regard to the car accident back in October.

To summarize the event, this is what happened:
  1. I was driving down a main lane in a parking lot headed to a gas station.
  2. A van came out of a parking lane.
  3. And t-boned my car, doing just over $2000 in damage.
  4. The witness to the accident claimed that the van didn't stop and drove into my car while I was driving down the main lane.
  5. The insurance company found me 100% at-fault.
  6. The insurance company said that I was in a parking lane as well and I entered a 4-way intersection where I failed to give right-of-way.
  7. The insurance company said that there are at least 1 dozen parking spots in my lane.
  8. There are actually 4 parking spots, all in front of one building.
  9. The insurance company acknowledged they did not notice the witness' statement that the other driver failed to stop and that I was in a main lane until after their decision.
  10. The insurance company claimed that a former employee from the same town as the accident also said I was in a main lane.
  11. The insurance company refused to accept his claim after he no longer worked there.
  12. The insurance company backed their decision still.
To prepare for this afternoon's meeting, I've printed out maps from Google Earth (hehe), I printed out maps showing where the vehicles were driving (with an assist from Photoshop, of course), and I've typed out my arguments against the insurance company's decision.

Some might say this is all just for me to get back the $300 deductible I had to pay for the car repair. It isn't. It's also about the principle. If the arbitrator still decides I'm at fault, that means I'm forced to stop at this so-called "intersection" whenever someone is travelling down the parking lane. I guarantee this....

The time I stop there for someone coming down that lane, I'll have another accident claim in to the insurance company. I'll be hit from behind as no one else would stop there.

No comments: