Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The One With The Sourpuss

No, it's not another post about Fat Kitty (although I found some pics online of yet another fat kitty!). This post, oddly enough, is about... me.

I hadn't heard from the "career advisors" this week and, in some ways, I like not hearing from them. Although it means I haven't spent nearly the time I should be on the job hunt (talking to a couple classmates about postings in their companies, mainly), it was a nice break not having the "advisors" getting on my nerves about something else.

So, first let me quote the majority of an email from one "advisor" as he gives me a pep talk on applying with a specific company. No, I'm not naming the company:
"Hey,
I received news today that XXX is looking for people to work as YYY. I put your name forward."
Yep, that's the pep talk. So, a couple days later I get a call from a lady saying she's with a company called 'DDD' and that she heard I was looking for work. They're looking for people to work as 'YYY' but she was concerned because my commute to work for minimum wage (less than $9/hr) would become a financial hardship quite quickly. I agreed with her, but asked about any possibility of other positions that maybe more commensurate with my work experience, but she let me know that there wasn't and that was basically the end of the conversation.

Today, though, I get an angry phone call from the "advisor" informing me that he'd just talked to 'XXX' and that I'd turned down a job offer when they called.

Wha?

As it turns out, 'DDD' was the company and 'XXX' is the name of their production. Urgh. Still, for minimum wage it wouldn't be good, correct? Well no, the "advisor" tells me, there was a very good chance of promotion quite quickly after starting. I could be making up to $40k/yr within weeks.

I hung up on him.

I know better, I do, but after hanging up on him, I sent a "quick" email to the "advisors" informing them of a better approach to the people they're trying to get hired at the various companies. I sent them a sample letter for them to send out to people still on the job hunt. See if this sounds better:
"Hi [jobhunt-person],
I received news today that DDD is starting production in the next few weeks on XXX. XXX is the first of its type to be produced in the Vancouver area and there's potential for promotion and at the least it will get your name out there on a major production. I've recommended you fro the position and highly encourage you to accept the interview when they call. More information can be found on their website at WWWZZZ. At present, I have not been informed of the pay rate, but the opportunities might make up for any shortfall to start. Your work will impress and your value will increase quickly afterward! Good luck and keep me informed on any phone calls!"
Not bad, eh? Same information I was given over time, but suddenly the job hunt person isn't about to cringe when they get the initial phone call.

Gotta hate it when I'm smarter than the people helping me. And, yes, they really think I'm a total bastard now.

No comments: