Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The One With My "Career Advisors"

Got an email yesterday from one of the 2 "career advisors" from school. Oh yeah, they get quotes around their title.

The message announced a career fair scheduled for this weekend. Nice flippin' timing. If I complain about this to them (like, how long have you known about it and couldn't you give more notice than 3 days!?!?!), they'll put the blame back on me for not checking the website on a regular basis. The career fair's being organized by this one group in Vancouver that hasn't done a thing since early September. I checked regularly up until November, but gave up wasting my time on the site after that. Yep, my fault for not noticing when they eventually did something (and honestly, if I was planning on a big event in January, I'd be putting something on a website as soon as the planning started so that it could generate interest --but then, that's why I'm unemployed, right?)

The other annoying thing in the email message was the sentence: "The career fair is open to the public." A sentence like that makes me assume one thing: It's free.

It's not. It costs $40 to go. If I'm going to pay $40 for the ticket, $10 for parking, $10 for food, and another $10 for gas (or more), then I'd better walk out of there with a job. No ifs and's or but's about it. So, honestly, I'm thinking of not going in (especially since I asked for clarification about the ticket price and haven't received a reply yet --losers).

I'll get blamed for my negative attitude next. Duhr.

On a plus-note in the ol' job search.... one of my classmates contacted me last week from his "dream job" (his words) and let me know that the company has a referral program. He took my resume to the HR office 5 minutes later. If I get hired there I'm not letting the "career advisors" know about it. They'd take credit for it within seconds.

Right now, they've started their focus on my previous working skills and are trying to land me an office job in reception/customer service. Those jobs pay $10 an hour and with a 4+ hour commute everyday, I'll be spending $500 a month on gas. I'd be grossing about $1600 a month, which means I'd have basically nothing left to pay for anything else. Math is not a strong point with these people.

1 comment:

Dreama said...

I never had much luck with the career advisors at UW either...they told me I should be an audiologist...WTF? Good luck with the referral program...a foot in the door would be beneficial, for sure.