Thursday, January 25, 2007

The One About HDLs and LDLs

I missed my annual checkup last year thanks to school, stress, and overall laziness backed by pizza & beer lunches. Taking a year off may or may not have been a good thing as I headed into my annual checkup this year.

First off, it doesn't take a genius (but denial means the scale's in the closet) to know I gained weight since my last checkup in 2005. In fact, I gained about 15 pounds, which isn't good. I'm already considered obese because of my height and weight combo.

But enough about my weight. I got into shape once, I can do it again. I've got my gym membership now (& resolutions at the end of January are no longer called 'resolutions') and once I've warmed up, I'm doing the Cadio-Core Bootcamp too. ONCE... I've warmed up. :)

HDLs (high density lipoprotein) and LDLs (low density lipoprotein) are what everyone refers to as "cholesterol" (HDL is the 'good' to the LDL's bad') and my wife was greatly aniticipating a stern lecture from the doctor about my high cholesterol when I started these checkups on my 30th birthday.... I mean... aniticipation of my 30th.... hehe.

Anyway, the cholesterol numbers themselves aren't the major thing. It's actually the ratio between the two that counts. When you hear of someone needing to lower their cholesterol, they have to (guys anyway) lower the LDL and maintain the HDL. HDL can be maintained with the good diet and some exercise. LDL can be lowered by the same.

But, again this year my LDL is too low and it concerns the doctor because it means my ratio is bad. REALLY bad. My HDL is fine, but my LDL is low and that means that I need the exercise to lose the extra baggage (and every type of baggage is lost with exercise).

And I also need to drink more alcohol. To keep it healthy: I shall continue to enjoy my red wine on a daily basis.

Hee hee.

No comments: