Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Crikey!

[This is my 3rd attempt at writing this and all my attempts not to sound "wrong" just haven't worked, so bear with me...]

I was relieved when I heard how The Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, died. [Told you it would sound wrong.]

Someone like Irwin, constantly surrounded by deadly animals. Crocodiles usually kill with one snap of their jaws. Usually. What does happen is their prey is dragged below water where if it isn't dead already, it will eventually drown even as it bleeds out from some of the most horrible wounds imaginable.

To hear Steve Irwin is dead, the image that immediately popped into my mind is one of the crocs finally caught up to him and all I could think was that his death was grisly. So, needless to say I was relieved to hear his death was quick with his heart pierced by a stingray.

Steve Irwin had a passion for animals, deadly animals sure, but a passion for their conservation and he had an uncanny ability to teach people how to be safe around such creatures. I watched him in documentaries where he saved crocs from environments that were harmful to their health and as concerned as he was for his crew, he was equally concerned with the welfare of the animals. This man had a passion and he lived that passion daily. We should all be so lucky.

Steve Irwin died the way he lived. He was in his element and faced with danger when he left this world. He saw his passion through right to the end of his 44 years. 44 years where he lived his dream. I'm sure he's done more in 44 years than most people could dream of. He's left a legacy for his family and his country and has made the world aware of the importance of every creature, no matter how deadly, in our planet's ecosystem.

I can only hope I can live --and die-- with the same passion he had.

No comments: